Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: California wildfires

Real Name
    Mike

California wildfires

You’ve probably heard by now about the devastating wildfires occurring in Northern and Southern California. I happen to work just a few miles from the Anaheim Hills fire, which affected thousands of acres in the general Disneyland area.

Here are a handful of photos I shot on Monday, the first 3 using an iPhone (“the camera I had with me”) and the last using a Nikon Coolpix (“a slightly better camera I had access to”), all post-processed slightly with a suitable ominous HDR effect.

fire1.jpg

fire2.jpg

fire3.jpg

fire4.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Richard

Re: California wildfires

Our thoughts and prayers are with all those affected by those terrible bush-fires.

Unless you have been near one you could never imagine the oppressive heat, eye stinging choking smoke and terrifying speed at which they can advance.

Real Name
    Mike

True, you've had some bad ones down there.

Even at the distance I was from this one, we had smoke advisories at work and of course you could smell the smoke, even indoors.

Real Name
    Paul David

This summer we had some fires about 30 miles west of us but I don't think the destruction was anything like that in California.

Real Name
    John

Disasters have a way of producing interesting effects, hopefully the residents can recover.

Real Name
    Sharon

Thanks for the photos. We lived in the Oakland Hills for 10 years, few years after the big fire there, but every siren or helicopter had me checking if we needed to get out. Still have a brother near Napa. Pretty huge destruction. Not just the wooded areas people live in but the towns and neighborhoods. Big winds and low humidity continue to make it worse. They could have used some of our weather we had today.