Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Xeriscape grown in

Real Name
    Richard

Xeriscape grown in

Sometime ago, I posted an image of my yard which I had converted to a Xeriscape to save precious water during the drought here in Southern California

My house is going green... .

It looked bare but, cut down my use of water greatly (which also saved me loads of money).

Today, I was playing with a cheap Vivitar (sold under many brand names) 8mm fish eye lens. I was struck by how lush the yard looks even though I am using no more water than when I originally converted to Xeriscape,

Xeriscape grown in

The secret is drip irrigation which delivers just enough water to the base of each plant. I opted not to use the water collection barrel system because with the present system, I use so little water that it would not be a sound investment. Obviously, I selected vegetation which is drought tolerant.

This image was not shot from the same vantage point as my original image but, it does give you an idea of how the yard has thrived on minimal water use. This is the view we have from our kitchen window...

I just shot this image from approximately the same spot as I shot the original Xeriscape photo. Quite a difference

Xeriscape grown in
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 17th October 2017 at 12:40 AM.

Real Name
    John

Re: Xeriscape grown in

Nice captures, looks like a fun lens to have in your arsenal.

Re: Xeriscape grown in

I am trying to take this information all on board, Richard. So the view is from your kitchen window and the terrain reaches over to the house at the rear. Presumably that is your neighbour? So, who owns what land, or do you share?

The greenery/shrubbery looks very nice. It is great to hear that you use a minimal amount of water and your finances are thus assisted to keep healthy. Here in Auckland, New Zealand, we have had a very wet Winter indeed and even now, in Spring, it continues to be relatively wet. I wish I could easily transport a few thousand gallons to you, there would be no cost, just relief!
    An interesting story! Additionally, I have learned a new word "Xeriscape " - even at 73yrs one learns every day.