Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Kory

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Kory

It's always nice to shoot an experienced model with a makeup artist on hand to keep the model looking her best.

Kory

Real Name
    John

Re: Kory

I guess if the makeup is applied sparingly it should last a good four hours, hair might be another thing especially if the wind is blowing. Nicely captured, everything seems in place so nicely captured and give a nod to the stylist as well.

Real Name
    Dave

Nicely done Manfred.

Dave

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I guess if the makeup is applied sparingly it should last a good four hours, hair might be another thing especially if the wind is blowing. Nicely captured, everything seems in place so nicely captured and give a nod to the stylist as well.
    The shots were done to go into the Makeup Artist's (MUA) portfolio.

The shoot was about two hours, so there were touch-ups between the different sets. There was minor stuff done mostly to fix up the hair and some sheen on her skin that came up from working in a relatively warm environment. As these are MUA portfolio shots, I did nothing in PP to the makeup itself; usually I will sculpt the face a bit with burning and dodging. Some minor things I did fix up are a few small hot spots due to the lighting that was being used.

All I will say is that there is a lot less work in PP when the model has been made up by an experienced MUA.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 21st October 2017 at 01:48 PM.

Real Name
    Sharon

Very nice portrait.
    Beautiful model
    I personally do not like the choice in makeup. Red lipstick is too harsh and distracting. It's where my eyes go

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by lovelife65 View Post
    Very nice portrait.
    Beautiful model
    I personally do not like the choice in makeup. Red lipstick is too harsh and distracting. It's where my eyes go
    I find that comment interesting, because the MUA was concerned that the red was not as brilliant as she had hoped when she saw the images on the back of the camera. I reassured her that this was related to the camera display, rather than the lipstick colour and the processed images would have the deep red.

I haven't posted some of the other images I took, but the MUA wanted a very edgy look to the images, so most are more striking than the basic headshot I posted here.

With this type of photography, the shot is not about the model. She is simply the "prop" the MUA is using to show off her skills and technique. This is effectively the role of the model in any product photography; the shot is about the product, not the model.

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    I find that comment interesting, because the MUA was concerned that the red was not as brilliant as she had hoped when she saw the images on the back of the camera. I reassured her that this was related to the camera display, rather than the lipstick colour and the processed images would have the deep red.

I haven't posted some of the other images I took, but the MUA wanted a very edgy look to the images, so most are more striking than the basic headshot I posted here.

With this type of photography, the shot is not about the model. She is simply the "prop" the MUA is using to show off her skills and technique. This is effectively the role of the model in any product photography; the shot is about the product, not the model.
    Hi Manfred, I am not a MUA by any means. I do know trends (at least that I am aware of) are towards a more "natural/minamalist" look. Makeup to bring out a persons features, vs take them over. But, I understand your points, so commenting is probably out of line.
    The portrait itself, IM amateur opinion, is very well done.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by lovelife65 View Post
    Hi Manfred, I am not a MUA by any means. I do know trends (at least that I am aware of) are towards a more "natural/minamalist" look. Makeup to bring out a persons features, vs take them over. But, I understand your points, so commenting is probably out of line.
    The portrait itself, IM amateur opinion, is very well done.
    The MUAs who specialize in prepping subjects for photography are not doing so for where makeup is going, but rather in showing their range of work that is primarily aimed at art directors in the fashion, advertising industries. In one case I know of one who specializes in the feature film, television and theatrical production work. This part of the business is completely different than the makeup work done for say weddings, graduations and special events photography that ordinary people would go to.

These people will have a portfolio that could range from the "clean scrubbed" look (which actually uses a lot of makeup applied with a great deal of finesse), to the gritty, to the sophisticated, to the downright grungy look. That is the part I find so interesting working with them; one gets some really off the wall stuff at times.

I first started shooting this type of work around 7 years ago and really started revisiting the genre earlier this year. I've posted this shot taken in 2010 before, but you can get the idea as to how wild some of the portfolio shots can be.

Kory

Real Name
    Sharon

Thanks for the explanation to the uninformed Manfred. I completely get it now. Very cool actually

Real Name
    Bruce

Manfred, very nice portrait.

Bruce

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    All I will say is that there is a lot less work in PP when the model has been made up by an experienced MUA.
    Definitely! IMO, one of the failings of many portraits is that the subject's hair and makeup are not in place.