Thread: Kiddos

Real Name
    Mike long

Kiddos

Kiddos

Kiddos

Kiddos
    Last edited by Manfred M; 14th November 2017 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Numbered and spaced out the images

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: Kiddos

I like these pics; however in photo #3 I find that the light on the upper left side is distracting - your eye immediately goes to that bright spot.

Bruce+

Real Name
    John

Nice series.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Another nice set Mike. In future when you post multiple images, would you mind numbering them and / or titling them and spreading them out a bit? That makes it easier to for people who make comments on them to write about a specific image.

Given the experimentation that you do with your images, especially lately as you have gotten into colour grading (LUT's), it would be good to know what your intent is with these images as they appear to be a bit on the warm side.

Image 1 - As mentioned before, I find these images to be rather warm. I tend to go slightly warm on my portraits, but usually around 5% max from neutral. The other issue I see here is the "deer in the headlights" look on your subject. This is not uncommon in adult images, but children have usually not learned this "skill", so I wonder what is going on.

I'm not sure if this is something you are trying to get as a look (as other images you have posted seem to have this look) or this is just something that has happened. I don't have a reference at the tip of my fingers, but try Googling "Peter Hurley squinch". Peter is a well known head shot photographer and his use of what he refers to as "squinching" projects a much more pleasing look for the eyes.

Image 2 - best of the group, but a bit too warm for my taste.

Image 3 - +1 to Bruce's comment on the impact of the bright light; it definitely adds a distraction and pulls the viewer's eyes away from the subject. Another side effect of the bright light hitting the lens surfaces is that you get veiling flare which softens the image. That can be countered with sharpening, but avoiding it is even better.