Thread: Joy in Seattle

Real Name
    Sharon

Joy in Seattle

Kerry Park. Really almost didn't bother, as this is such an ordinary composition creatively, as I think everyone does it. Even so, she wanted the photograph. Didn't even nail it

Thanks for peeking.

Joy in Seattle

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Re: Joy in Seattle

Love the concept.

The Subject Motion Blur doesn't work for me - your Sony DSC-RX10M3 is a fine camera - better to bump the ISO from 320 to around ISO 2000 and that would allow a much faster Shutter Speed than 1/80s for that shot.

WW
    Last edited by William W; 18th November 2017 at 07:30 AM.

Real Name
    John

I like it for the most part, you got most of the composition in focus, the dark corners don't do it for me though unless they are meant to convey danger; if so I would increase the darkness in the floor area.

Real Name
    Paul David

I like how the Space Needle is framed.

Real Name
    Sharon

Thanks for the comments. One of the great locations in seattle queen anne to see the city and mount rainier on a clear day. This was my hubbys camera which I don't know well. William not sure how well it would handle that high of an iso. If i use his camera again I will play with it. I think I left it in auto which he uses. The dark corners happened in p.p. not sure I should have done that lol. Wish I would have gotten the little lady in focus better yes. She was our foster daughter. We see her Tuesday in Seattle for her birthday.

Real Name
    Richard

This is a neat image... I might drop a bit off image left and the bottom...

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Sharon,

When using an unfamiliar camera, especially with a moving subject, errors are bound to happen (well, they do with me).

Quote Originally Posted by lovelife65 View Post
    ~ Wish I would have gotten the little lady in focus better yes. ~
    Just to clarify; most of the blur on your foster daughter is caused by the low shutter speed (relative to her 'speed'), not 'focus' as such. Although - she would be a bit blurred even if not moving, just as the edges of the playground equipment are.

I'd estimate the ratio of blurriness is caused 75% by shutter speed and 25% by Depth of Field/Focus distance.

If mine (and I'd be pleased to have got this under the circumstances), I think I'd crop to a rectangular aspect ratio, retaining the bottom edge of the circle, but losing most of what's below.

UPDATE: I see Richard suggested a crop too, although personally, I'd leave the left hand side alone for the compositional benefits it brings, but might darken the telescope and its sunlit pedestal.

HTH,
    Dave

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Sharon,

When using an unfamiliar camera, especially with a moving subject, errors are bound to happen (well, they do with me).

Just to clarify; most of the blur on your foster daughter is caused by the low shutter speed (relative to her 'speed'), not 'focus' as such. Although - she would be a bit blurred even if not moving, just as the edges of the playground equipment are.

I'd estimate the ratio of blurriness is caused 75% by shutter speed and 25% by Depth of Field/Focus distance.

If mine (and I'd be pleased to have got this under the circumstances), I think I'd crop to a rectangular aspect ratio, retaining the bottom edge of the circle, but losing most of what's below.

UPDATE: I see Richard suggested a crop too, although personally, I'd leave the left hand side alone for the compositional benefits it brings, but might darken the telescope and its sunlit pedestal.

HTH,
    Dave
    Thank you Dave yes. Motion blur is the correct term my mistake.
    Unfamiliar camera but really the same rules apply for good technical quality. I just didn't know where to change things on his camera, my Fuji is much more intuitive to me but of course I've had it almost a year. When I go back to the beautiful city I will certainly take my camera which I am comfortable with, but I am still learning it as well.
    I'm gonna work on the crop suggested by both you and John, and do a little more adjusting, still won't make it a perfect photograph, but one possibly good enuff for Facebook; )

Thornhill, a suburb of Toronto, Ontario Canada
    Real Name
    Robert

Sharon,
    The joy on the little girl's face is what makes this shot for me. And the blur only enhances it in my opinion.
    Yes, the shot has flaws, but again, in my opinion it would be vastly improved by completely cropping off our left-hand side of the image up to the edge of the black wall to eliminate the distracting bright area that adds nothing to the subject matter.
    Robert

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by RBSinTo View Post
    Sharon,
    The joy on the little girl's face is what makes this shot for me. And the blur only enhances it in my opinion.
    Yes, the shot has flaws, but again, in my opinion it would be vastly improved by completely cropping off our left-hand side of the image up to the edge of the black wall to eliminate the distracting bright area that adds nothing to the subject matter.
    Robert
    Than you Robert. With many of these kids, seeing joy in their faces is so wonderful..after all the trauma and loss they have experienced. I did go back and forth on eliminating the left side with the bright lighr and telescope. It does make sense.
    Thank you for commenting.

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    This is a neat image... I might drop a bit off image left and the bottom...
    Thank You! Actually when revisiting it it's a little more fun than I thought. Wish there was nobody else in the photo other than the little lady. Always a joy to play in my 2nd favorite city in North America.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

. . . not sure how well it would handle that high of an iso. If i use his camera again I will play with it.
    In that light; the Sony would eat ISO 2000: especially if the final image were to be a monochrome.

If you use the camera again play and push it.

WW

Real Name
    Paul David

Always a joy to play in my 2nd favorite city in North America.
    Just to satisfy my curiosity, what is your favorite city in North America?

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    In that light; the Sony would eat ISO 2000: especially if the final image were to be a monochrome.

If you use the camera again play and push it.

WW
    Thank you William.
    Maybe I can convince my hubby to take it out of auto. i seem to remember the ISO jumping when he shot some in auto, and it was quite noisy. Maybe I'm incorrect. My fuji does do quite well at high ISO, so maybe I will do some compares

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by LePetomane View Post
    Just to satisfy my curiosity, what is your favorite city in North America?
    LOL. Vancouver, BC. I have limited travels here in USA though. Have not been to the East Coast.

Real Name
    Paul David

LOL. Vancouver, BC. I have limited travels here in USA though. Have not been to the East Coast.
    Vancouver is a nice city. I spent 5 days there at a conference. I didn't see much of it but I liked what I saw. My favorite is NYC.

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by LePetomane View Post
    Vancouver is a nice city. I spent 5 days there at a conference. I didn't see much of it but I liked what I saw. My favorite is NYC.
    It is a beautiful City in a wonderful setting. I've sadly never been to NYC. I tend to prefer the West Coast, as we are an outdoorsy family and I like the climate here. Before I die, I want to go to NYC though