Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on Video Projector, please.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Re: Advice on Video Projector, please.

Antonio, would you not be better to look for a projector that gives you as many of the latest features that you can afford. Equipment becomes outdated soon enough without knowingly buying models that are short on those features.
    I mentioned in an earlier post that most laptops and computer screens for that matter are widescreen, which means again that you are limiting yourself with a projector that as far as I can make out operates at 4:3.
    This argument is erroneous if you are going to use a dedicated laptop and projector combination which is compatible, but if your projector will be used with a range of computers or input devices you may run into trouble with insufficient ports.
    I note that you are also using a Macbook. They now use a mini-connector which is not compatible with the majority of projectors unless you have a the correct adaptor.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
    Me again John. Sorry
    The projector doesn't have HDMI door. Do you think this is a must ?
    Thank you

I found it in Germany for 450 €
    Antonio,

The HDMi interface is typically for home theaters (connecting game stations, PCS) it provides a better picture but the connecting device must have the interface also. You will need this type of connector if you are using a computer.

Computer and video signal input/output
    INPUT ARGB / Y PB PR input connector: Mini D-sub-15 pin (female), Audio input
    connector: Stereo mini jack
    INPUT BRGB input connector: Mini D-sub-15 pin (female), Audio input connector:
    Stereo mini jack
    S VIDEO
    IN
    S video input connector: Mini DIN-4 pin, Audio input connector: Pin jack (x2)
    (shared with VIDEO IN)
    VIDEO
    IN
    Video input connector: Pin jack, Audio input connector: Pin jack (x2) (shared
    with S VIDEO IN)
    OUTPUTMonitor output connector*5: Mini D-sub-15 pin (female), Audio output
    connector*6: Stereo mini jack (variable out)
    Other signal input/output
    RS-232C connector: D-sub 9-pin (female)

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by Clactonian View Post
    Antonio, would you not be better to look for a projector that gives you as many of the latest features that you can afford. Equipment becomes outdated soon enough without knowingly buying models that are short on those features. I mentioned in an earlier post that most laptops and computer screens for that matter are widescreen, which means again that you are limiting yourself with a projector that as far as I can make out operates at 4:3. This argument is erroneous if you are going to use a dedicated laptop and projector combination which is compatible, but if your projector will be used with a range of computers or input devices you may run into trouble with insufficient ports. I note that you are also using a Macbook. They now use a mini-connector which is not compatible with the majority of projectors unless you have a the correct adaptor.
    Thank you Mike Good advice

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Antonio,

The HDMi interface is typically for home theaters (connecting game stations, PCS) it provides a better picture but the connecting device must have the interface also. You will need this type of connector if you are using a computer...
    And thank you again John

Real Name
    John

Thank you Mike Good advice

And thank you again John
    Antonio,

Thought you might like to know I just ordered the Epson EX7200 Multimedia projector. It has 1280x800 native resolution, 2600 lumens, USB and plug in play, and Mac compatible (adapter not included). It's for entertainment purposes but would work well for classroom or boardroom presentations. Unfortunately, I have to wait for delivery, it seems that this model was advertised as being in store but once you get there are told it is a special order item. I think they do that so you will be upset and order the less desirable models.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Unfortunately, I have to wait for delivery, it seems that this model was advertised as being in store but once you get there are told it is a special order item. I think they do that so you will be upset and order the less desirable models.
    Hmmm, yes, a practice called "the switch" in the trade, or so I understand.

Real Name
    António Correia

Antonio, Thought you might like to know I just ordered the Epson EX7200 Multimedia projector. It has 1280x800 native resolution, 2600 lumens, USB and plug in play, and Mac compatible (adapter not included). It's for entertainment purposes but would work well for classroom or boardroom presentations. Unfortunately, I have to wait for delivery, it seems that this model was advertised as being in store but once you get there are told it is a special order item. I think they do that so you will be upset and order the less desirable models.
    Thank you John It is more expensive than the Sony. Probably better of course but for what I want I think the Sony is a good option.

I was just waiting some time to have the chance to go and see it in Lisbon during this very week.

But I will buy it in Germany for a lower price anyway

Real Name
    John

Thank you John It is more expensive than the Sony. Probably better of course but for what I want I think the Sony is a good option.

I was just waiting some time to have the chance to go and see it in Lisbon during this very week.

But I will buy it in Germany for a lower price anyway
    Antonio,

Yes mine is for entertainment purposes but could be also used for work. The one feature I am most interested in is how well a 1000x700 resolution photo will look when projected to 300 inches, which is why I went with near maximum native resolution and mid range lumens.

Real Name
    John

Antonio,

Yes mine is for entertainment purposes but could be also used for work. The one feature I am most interested in is how well a 1000x700 resolution photo will look when projected to 300 inches, which is why I went with near maximum native resolution and mid range lumens.
    Antonio,

The projector finally arrived, very easy to setup and already viewing movies in widescreen format. There is an initial setup through your computer so I tried using the VGA cable for quick viewing. The video was very sluggish so you may need to purchase the HDMI cable if you plan to use movies in your presentation. The sluggishness was from a movie played from the DVD drive. If the movie is on your harddrive or USB drive it will play at a faster rate. I then connected the projector to my DVD player using an S-Video cable and this played at a normal rate also. I've only examined a few photos using the zoom function but from what I have seen the resolution looks great. The Sony model you are considering should work just as fine as long as you have adequate native resolution and at least 2500 lumens.

Real Name
    António Correia

Hello John

You have been of great help ! Thank you
    I am waiting for my Sony projector as I transferred the payment yesterday.
    As soon as I receive it I'll tell you

Cheers

Real Name
    António Correia

I received the projector some days after my last post and since then I had no opportunity to use it.

I was keeping a link to this thread so I could report my impressions and thank John the precious help he gave me on this matter.

The projector is very simple to use and the image is fine. I connected it to the MacBook and I have chosen the appropriate definition.
    My friends were with me - those from my usual group of photography, just 1 woman and 4 man - and we all appreciated the quality of the images - oh sorry - the quality of the projector, I mean.
    The images projected were mines and they were great as usual.

Thank you John for all the information you passed me and all the guide lines.
    Have a 2011 with Health with all your family and friends.

Real Name
    John

I received the projector some days after my last post and since then I had no opportunity to use it.

I was keeping a link to this thread so I could report my impressions and thank John the precious help he gave me on this matter.

The projector is very simple to use and the image is fine. I connected it to the MacBook and I have chosen the appropriate definition.
    My friends were with me - those from my usual group of photography, just 1 woman and 4 man - and we all appreciated the quality of the images - oh sorry - the quality of the projector, I mean.
    The images projected were mines and they were great as usual.

Thank you John for all the information you passed me and all the guide lines.
    Have a 2011 with Health with all your family and friends.
    Antonio,

i'm glad the projector met your expectations and many thousand of hours of uninterrupted usage. Have a Happy New Year!

Real Name
    António Correia

Antonio, i'm glad the projector met your expectations and many thousand of hours of uninterrupted usage. Have a Happy New Year!
    And so do you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12