Thread: Fallen (not my usual) C&C most definitely needed

Real Name
    Brian

Fallen (not my usual) C&C most definitely needed

IOS 100 ~ shutter speed 30 (thirty) s. ~ indoors ~ natural light through windows. All pp done in Capture 1

Re: Fallen (not my usual) C&C most definitely needed

Hi Brian:

It's an interesting change to see this kind of image from you! I think the monochrome is a great choice to show the different textures and sheens of the materials. I think I would have had the shaft of the stick come in from, say, the bottom left corner, and take you up 2/3 of the way across with the handle pointing at the bottom right corner. What you think?

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Tronhard View Post
    Hi Brian:

It's an interesting change to see this kind of image from you! I think the monochrome is a great choice to show the different textures and sheens of the materials. I think I would have had the shaft of the stick come in from, say, the bottom left corner, and take you up 2/3 of the way across with the handle pointing at the bottom right corner. What you think?
    I just tried a little pp and it has potential. But it will require a total re-shoot. I'll give it a try tomorrow

Real Name
    mark

Looks like it has potential

Real Name
    Dan

very interesting. I see a lot of potential. This image is about lines, textures, and tonal contrasts, which are key elements of B&W images. Nice to see you trying a totally new area. We should all try to do that from time to time.

My questions, unlike Trev's, are about PP, not composition. Key questions in B&W include these:
    --how much tonal contrast do you want? This is a high-contrast image. My tastes also run to high contrast.
    --where do you want the tonal variations to be? You can control this not only with the standard tonality controls, such as a curve, but also by manipulating the brightness of specific color channels. I don't know how to do that in your software, but I am guessing it has these tools.

It's all a matter of taste, but for my taste, too much of this version is near total black; if you loosened up the darks a little, by one means or another, I think you could bring out more texture.

I hope you keep at it. This is a great start.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post

IOS 100 ~ shutter speed 30 (thirty) s. ~ indoors ~ natural light through windows. All pp done in Capture 1
    Is this any better or is it too different to compare?

ISO 100 ~ Shutter Speed Twenty-five s. ~ F/16 ~ Indoor Natural Light

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Now you have new subjects.... i really like this; i think you can now turn your attention also to such still lives too

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    Now you have new subjects.... i really like this; i think you can now turn your attention also to such still lives too
    Thanks, I hope to.