Thread: Canadian War Museum - Blue Hour shot

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Canadian War Museum - Blue Hour shot

I took this shot of the Canadian War Museum near the beginning of Blue Hour. The red streaks are the tail lights of cars driving by during a 2 second exposure. I shot this image with my Nikkor 24mm perspective correcting lens.

Note: Someone pointed out that I had not fixed the CA (chromatic aberration; green and magenta fringing) in the image in the original posting. I have all my raw processing software set up to use the camera / lens database for that software to carry out the operation automatically during the raw conversion process. Unfortunately, the Nikkor f/3.5 24mm PC-E lens is not in the databases, so I have to do this manually and forgot to check. Thanks Rudi!
    Last edited by Manfred M; 8th December 2017 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Replaced image with a CA fixed one

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Re: Canadian War Museum - Blue Hour shot

Very nice shot

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Good one. Lovely exposure to get both the outside and inside of the building. And that sky!!

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Good one. Lovely exposure to get both the outside and inside of the building. And that sky!!
    Thanks Donald. When I first got on location, I almost turned around and went home. The sky was quite overcast and had no texture to speak of. Within the hour things totally changed and the clouds started to open up to give me this lovely textured sky.

It is a single exposure shot, but I did a lot of masking to work of the sky, building interior, building exterior and the road separately to try to get the "mood" in this shot. Dodging, burning and saturation control.

Just for reference, this is a JPEG version of the image I started with.

The light from the setting sun would have been straight in front of me, had it not been an overcast day.

Last edited by Manfred M; 5th December 2017 at 05:05 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    It is a single exposure shot, but I did a lot of masking to work of the sky, building interior, building exterior and the road separately to try to get the "mood" in this shot. Dodging, burning and saturation control.
    It was worth the effort. It works wonderfully.

It's also good for less experienced people with post-processing to see what's involved, but also to see how you can make the image with good editing. You need the right raw material to start with, the the image is made during post-processing.

Real Name
    André

Beautiful work as usual Manfred. Your PP skills are an inspiration.

I would like to point out that the windows on the roof at the right of the picture spell "Lest we forget" in English and French in morse code.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Even for the experienced it is good to see where you went when you processed this. Maybe even more so because, even without the "recipe', most of us can work out the basics and see where the important things were done.

Very well done and once again; "Luck" favours the prepared and patient.