Thread: Over the Edge

Real Name
    John

Over the Edge

f/14, ISO 100, 1/80 sec, 24mm with 24-70 lens.
    Over the Edge

I tried a bit of distortion correction but I didn't give myself enough space to modify foreground elements without distorted the background or causing a crop issue in the foreground.

Real Name
    Judith

Re: Over the Edge

Hard to know what your concept was. The lighthouse seems almost irrelevant as photographed but maybe it is important to your concept. Can you relate what you were hoping to express?

Real Name
    Dan

Like Judith, I am a little puzzled by this image. Partly because of the short focal length, it seems overwhelmed by the exaggerated bulk of the cleat (or pylon, or whatever it is called). There is a leading line to the lighthouse, but the line is near the top border, and because of the perspective, the lighthouse is tiny.

Real Name
    John

Hi Judith and Dan,

Just trying a bit of "deep focus" photography, I feel the two subjects have a direct relationship to each other; both a way of protecting ships. Thanks for commenting.

To me, this is a bollard.

I can see potential in the idea, but find those railings overly distracting.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    To me, this is a bollard.

I can see potential in the idea, but find those railings overly distracting.
    Hi Geoff,

I thought the railings would give an interesting added element; instead they added issues although while taking the photograph they too gave me some protection from falling over the edge. In a reshoot I would probably shoot through the railing rather than over it.

Real Name
    Zen

Hi John,
    Yes, a bit puzzling. To me, the important elements are the light, the empty harbor and the moody low hanging clouds.

So I'm wondering - suppose you cropped the right half, say, cutting off the fence and splitting the cleat, making the image much more vertical, and maybe a bit off the bottom; and then, with the light in the background, no boats in the water and no rope on the cleat, plus the moody overcast, I can see the completely empty harbor being be a "closed for the winter" sailing harbor.

Just dreaming, John. Thanks for sharing.

Zen

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by zen View Post
    Hi John,
    Yes, a bit puzzling. To me, the important elements are the light, the empty harbor and the moody low hanging clouds.

So I'm wondering - suppose you cropped the right half, say, cutting off the fence and splitting the cleat, making the image much more vertical, and maybe a bit off the bottom; and then, with the light in the background, no boats in the water and no rope on the cleat, plus the moody overcast, I can see the completely empty harbor being be a "closed for the winter" sailing harbor.

Just dreaming, John. Thanks for sharing.

Zen
    Hi Zen,

Thanks for comments and suggestion, the edit is doable and I'll see how it looks, I think if there was a boat in the water it might obscure the lighthouse unless I timed it correctly as it entered the frame; although if I had a focal length smaller than 24mm I might be able to fit all within the frame.

Real Name
    Judith

I agree that the cleat and lighthouse have a relationship, though I see that as shape more than conceptual. Comments that others have made about reframing have potential. Hope you will try again!

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanflyer View Post
    I agree that the cleat and lighthouse have a relationship, though I see that as shape more than conceptual. Comments that others have made about reframing have potential. Hope you will try again!
    Hi Judith,
    I will, this particular lighthouse has appeared in quite a few of my captures so yes will try again.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

I too had a little confusion, until i read your clarification; i think a suggestive caption would have saved the situation

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    I too had a little confusion, until i read your clarification; i think a suggestive caption would have saved the situation
    Hi Nandakumar,

I think you are right, thanks for commenting.

I suppose you could try a fairly substantial crop of the right side to reduce the amount of railings but leave the bollard base plate intact. End up with a vertical widescreen size, maybe something like 1 x 2 ratio?

Real Name
    John

Here is a comparison.

Over the Edge

That is exactly what I was thinking about, John.

Real Name
    Dan

if this is someplace you go from time to time (Lake Ontario), it might be worth trying it with a longer focal length to avoid the perspective distortion on the bollard. Just a thought.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    if this is someplace you go from time to time (Lake Ontario), it might be worth trying it with a longer focal length to avoid the perspective distortion on the bollard. Just a thought.
    Hi Dan,

The site is nearby.