Thread: Rideau Canal

Real Name
    André

Rideau Canal

Obviously not a recent photo but I just reprocessed this one. I think that I have the pp where I want it but would welcome constructive comments particularly on the composition.

Rideau Canal

Just to make Brian feel better, the temperature was -25°C that day with a wind chill of -40°C(or °F at that temperature). Yet people were enjoying their afternoon skate. Mind you, they kept moving

André

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Rideau Canal

I love this image! However, I would like to see the partial red figure (image bottom right) cloned out.

Rideau Canal
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 8th December 2017 at 07:19 PM.

I agree with Richard; otherwise this looks good.

Real Name
    John

Nice one.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Only Canadians (and maybe Russians) would think this would be a good day for a skate.

I hate to be a nit picker, but maybe check the vertical/horizontal alignment? I have always thought Ottawa was a bit off kilter, maybe the right leaning is reflective of this.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

In addition to the other suggestions, I will also often select the shadow areas that tend to be blue in these types of conditions and neutralize them by adding yellow. I use the selection tools as much as possible to isolate the affected areas and use layer masks in Photoshop to apply them. That way I can do small adjustments in areas that are more problematic to select.

Rideau Canal

Real Name
    André

Thank you all for your considered comments.
    Richard and Geoff,
    I debated removing the bright red person coming in at the bottom of the frame before posting this photo. I would not normally crop off the legs of a person like that but I ultimately decided to leave him/her in for two reasons: first, I feel that because the person is coming into the frame, his/her presence contributes positively to the feeling of hustle and bustle of the scene. Secondly, the bright red jacket anchors the photo and pulls the eyes back to the bottom of the frame ready to go for a second more leisurely scan down the canal. I find that removing him/her creates a somewhat more serene and peaceful scene that does not quite capture as well what I saw.

Trevor,
    What can I say! The shot was taken when the previous government was in office and they definitely leaned to the right. If I took it now, it would probably tilt to the left.
    Of course I'll fix it. It will be easier than to fix the government.

Manfred,
    That suggestion is the kind of attention to small details that I must learn to pay closer attention to. As my sister would say: " I will go to bed a little smarter tonight".

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Round Tuit View Post
    I debated removing the bright red person coming in at the bottom of the frame before posting this photo. I would not normally crop off the legs of a person like that but I ultimately decided to leave him/her in for two reasons: first, I feel that because the person is coming into the frame, his/her presence contributes positively to the feeling of hustle and bustle of the scene. Secondly, the bright red jacket anchors the photo and pulls the eyes back to the bottom of the frame ready to go for a second more leisurely scan down the canal.
    Andre - let me try to change your perspective on this point a bit. Two bits of photographic visual theory first:

1. The human visual system is keyed to notice bright areas and areas of of high contrast. Our eyes will head to those areas of the image, whether we want them to or not.

2. As photographers we want our viewers to spend time exploring the interior area of the image. Once our eyes are directed off the edge of the image, we have lost the viewer's focus. Anything that extends over the edge of the frame or is very close to the edge of the frame has to be examined in this context.

If we look at the person in red, it is problematic when we look at both of these points. It is a bright high contrast part of the image and crosses the edge of the frame. Our eyes pick it up immediately and are immediately pulled out of the image. In fact, if it were my image, I would probably not want that group of three (four) skaters) that close to the edge on the left either.

Real Name
    Bill

Nice one Andre. I agree with Richard and Trevor (on the photo, couldn't possibly comment on the politics) but - and I never thought I'd type these words - I disagree with Manfred on the shadow. It's subjective rather than objective, but to me the blue tinge says "winter cold" in a way that the technically better edit does not.

Real Name
    André

Manfred,
    I feel the pull of two competing visual elements when I look at this picture. The strongly converging lines formed by the banks of the canal initially pull my eyes to the arch of the bridge and the red 'blob' immediately pulls them back to the lower edge of the frame. From there, I leisurely go back down the canal to the bridge and the chateau behind. Visually, there is nothing much to the right of the canal except for the odd shape of the Shaw centre.
    I agree that there are many factors going against keeping the red guy. He is the most saturated element of the picture, he is very bright, he cuts the bottom of the frame and his legs are chopped off at an awkward place. In spite of all that, I believe that he plays a crucial role in helping the viewer explore the crowd on the canal.
    But then again, I may have been looking at this photo too long.

Bill,
    You are not alone when it comes to blue snow. If you look at winter landscapes, you will probably find that most are indeed very blue. In this case, I agree with Manfred that the shadows in my original should be slightly desaturated. It is of course all a matter of taste. Thanks for commenting

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Round Tuit View Post
    ...He is the most saturated element of the picture ...
    my original should be slightly desaturated. It is of course all a matter of taste.
    Andre (and others who have commented on the "red guy") - there is a less saturated man in red just above the questioned one, that does not jar; saturation is also important in whether or not a blue tinge to ice/frost/snow will work - as I mentioned above it does for me here, and also keys in to the building (the Shaw centre?).

Real Name
    Nandakumar

I feel hilarious

Real Name
    André

Quote Originally Posted by billtils View Post
    Andre (and others who have commented on the "red guy") - there is a less saturated man in red just above the questioned one, that does not jar; saturation is also important in whether or not a blue tinge to ice/frost/snow will work - as I mentioned above it does for me here, and also keys in to the building (the Shaw centre?).
    Bill - Different people, different points of view, different interpretations, different tastes and all respectfully presented; this is why this forum is so valuable to me. Thanks for your contribution.

Real Name
    André

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    I feel hilarious
    Why?