Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS lens

Real Name
    Richard

Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS lens

Has anyone experience with this lens. It seems that this just might be an ideal hand held low light lens because of its fast f/2 aperture and Image Stabilization. I have the chance to pick one up in mint condition at a very good price. I will, of course test it out before purchasing...

I have had some experience with the prior EF 35mm f/2 non-IS lens and was not totally impressed with it. I have read some reviews of the IS model which indicate that this is improved over the original non-IS 35mm f/2...

I do like the 35mm focal length when shooting with a full frame camera. I cut my teeth on a Leica M2 which had a 35mm lens as part of the three lens kit. I don't remember the f/stop of that lens but it was slower than f/2. The 35mm focal length is what I would consider a wide normal lens. It doesn't result in the distortion inherent in lenses of 28mm and shorter (on full frame cameras) and it is a great focal length for event shooting as well as pretty darn good for some landscapes.

The 35mm focal length isn't all that bad for a crop camera either.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Re: Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS lens

Yes I have used one for a couple of days:

I used the older, EF 35 F/2 and also the EF 35 F/1.4L USM. I pondered a purchase of an EF 35 F/2 IS soon after it was released: there is a substantial improvement in Image Quality compared to the original EF 35/2, and especially noticeable when using a FF camera: the edges are definitively much crisper.

I didn't buy the 35/2 IS lens, because:

> We tend to (exclusively) use the existing 35/2 on APS-C format (used by my daughter)

> I already have a 35mm lens with Aperture of F/1.4 and I tend to generally make People Photos, so Shutter Speed is my primary concern when shooting in Low Level Available Light

> for Static Subjects in low light, hand held, I have a 24 to 105/4 IS and I find that Lens quite acceptable at 35mm - albeit I would have to bump TWO stops of ISO to get the same Shutter Speed: but on the other hand I am quite happy if it is necessary to set a tripod and use the 35/1.4 for most of the Static Subject Images that I make.

On the other hand, I think IS is a fantastic addition to any W/A lens - because IS is just so useful for a broad range of General Photography when one is walking around. So I still think about buying that lens.

I think if you do buy it you'll probably walk around with it on your camera and you will 'find' photos that you otherwise would not have envisioned - that's what drives me to think about buying that lens.

Let us know what you choose to do.

WW

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS lens

BTW: What will also help in low light (slow shutter speed) captures is the Canon Battery Pack I have on my 6D Mark ii. I have never used a Canon Battery Pack on a camera because I stayed away from the extra weight. However, I received the Battery Pack with the 6D kit from B&H (at a really great price).

I am astounded at how steady the camera/lens seems with the battery pack installed. I think that the extra size has a lot to do with that as well as the extra set of controls for vertical framing. I thought that I might sell the battery grip to diffray part of the cost of the camera but, have made up my mind to keep it and use it.

I think that the 6D Mark ii with Battery Pack and the EF 35mm f/2 IS lens should be an excellent combination for low light photography.