Thread: Sunset on TiriTiri

Dusk on TiriTiri

TiriTiri Matangi is a small island just north of Auckland City, about an hour's ferry ride from the downtown terminal. This is the site of a former farm that had been carved out of native bush. It was given back to the NZ Dept. of Conservation (DoC) which, with the help of a charity made up of volunteers, had spent hundreds of thousands of man-hours to remove much of the infrastructure, kill off pests and plant millions of native trees and plants. Much of the island is now returning to its natural state with first growth firmly established and secondary growth being planted and expanding naturally.

The island has become a sanctuary for many of NZ’s threatened species, particularly native birds. By making the island predator free (an on-going challenge as it lies only a few km from the mainland), native birds have been able to breed and thrive in peace. Now populations of breeding pairs are being sent back to sanitized areas of their original habitats in an effort to undo decades of loss of diversity.

We went there to stay in the bunkhouse: a converted lighthouse keeper's house, for six days. This was earlier this month during the full, super moon. I decided to try to shoot the moonrise, but frankly is was a lost cause as the sun was still up in the sky and too light to really do the moonrise justice. The only shot I found acceptable was this one of my partner Hilary watching the moon... It incorporated all the elements I was enjoying: the hint of the sunset, the full moon, and sharing the moment...

Sunset on TiriTiri
    Last edited by Tronhard; 23rd December 2017 at 04:02 AM.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Re: Sunset on TiriTiri

This is really nice; The story of a shadow!!!

Real Name
    Rudi

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    This is really nice; The story of a shadow!!!
    +1
    Maybe crop off a bit from the left ?

Re: Dusk on TiriTiri

Quote Originally Posted by rudi View Post
    +1
    Maybe crop off a bit from the left ?

Thank you both!

Rudi I did actually try a crop as suggested but personally liked the balance of the space against that on the right.
    Last edited by Tronhard; 23rd December 2017 at 04:03 AM.

Another sunset

Sunset on TiriTiri

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Marvellous!!! need be posting as a separate thread?

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

What NZ is doing to preserve native species is a real credit to the country. Quite the battle though.

Hi Trevor (fine name that!) I agree with you. Our new government is pledging a much increased budget for DoC so we have hopes.

There are several issues to deal with. The threat of mining on DoC land - apparently the new govt. will halt any new permits.
    The pollution caused by over-farming: this is impacting on much of the water outside of National Parks. There was a public outcry when it was found that many waterways were too polluted to swim in. The last govt. changed the definition to be acceptable to walk through and said it was all good now. That will be an issue for the new regime.

Then we have freedom campers. The previous government pushed hard to encourage low-budget travellers to come to NZ. They responded in droves, but there was no budget to provide the places for them to camp, no toilets or showers. The issue is they are now staying almost anywhere they can, relieving themselves off the road (very bad) or near waterways (extremely bad). Local body inspectors who try to deal with them have been attacked and their vehicles damaged. We are hoping that this will be resolved for social and environmental reasons. We were acting as "hut angels" last summer on a difficult track on Rakiura (NZ's 3rd island). We found many budget travellers doing this hike, totally upprepared, and in some cases using the tracks on the main island as highways to avoid paying for accommodation. There they didn't bother to use the toilets, they did their business right outside the huts!

And Finally of course we have the change in our climate that is altering tree conditions. We have two major epidemics right now: Mertyl Rust is attacking some of our natives, including our iconic Pohutukawa trees - the ones that blaze the north island in red and green for Christmas. Then we have Kauri Dieback, which is killing vast swathes of Kauri trees around Auckland. It is a real issue in the NW of Auckland in our Waitakere Ranges. Despite signs asking people to scrub their boots, they just walk on by and spread the disease. In some areas they put closure signs, which people ignored and when concerned people objected they were abused and assaulted. The Maori wanted to close the whole park but Auckland council was reluctant. The government is going to step in and force closure - not an easy thing to do for a big forest park, but it needs to be done.

Sunset on TiriTiri
    A Pohutukawa Tree in bloom

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    Marvellous!!! need be posting as a separate thread?
    Hi Nandakumar! Thanks for your comment, as requested see the tread TiriTiri Sunsets
    Last edited by Tronhard; 23rd December 2017 at 04:04 AM.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

My father in law had a huge Pohutukawa in his back yard in New Plymouth. I never saw it in bloom, only pictures. One of my bucket list items is go back at this time of year to see the blooming trees. Seems I will have to bring that forward unfortunately.

From the litany, seems it is once more the tragedy of the commons. If one person does something reprehensible in their self interest it can pass with minimal impact. It everyone, or a significant number do, then then all lose.

I wonder if the current drought is magnifying the effects on the Kauri? I was talking to some friends in New Plymouth and they were saying it was already parched with full summer yet to onset. Not good.

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    My father in law had a huge Pohutukawa in his back yard in New Plymouth. I never saw it in bloom, only pictures. One of my bucket list items is go back at this time of year to see the blooming trees. Seems I will have to bring that forward unfortunately.

From the litany, seems it is once more the tragedy of the commons. If one person does something reprehensible in their self interest it can pass with minimal impact. It everyone, or a significant number do, then then all lose.

I wonder if the current drought is magnifying the effects on the Kauri? I was talking to some friends in New Plymouth and they were saying it was already parched with full summer yet to onset. Not good.
    Auckland has not had much rain, but apparently the bush is doing ok. Our reservoirs are at 90%. The middle belt of the N.I. seems to get dryer faster, particularly the east. They have had a few recent shower but no saturating downpours.

Sunset on TiriTiri
    Shadows and highlights in the late dusk

Sunset on TiriTiri

Real Name
    Nandakumar

All new images are wonderful