Thread: Old barn; final days?

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Old barn; final days?

I hear rumours the barn may be destined to die soon. I have used it as a subject, as have two of my local photographer friends, in multiple seasons and lighting. I will be sorry to see it go, if it does. However the demise has given me impetus to get shots I have not done before or replicate some shots with more finesse.

For these two I decided to get tight on the barn to show the entire structure. Black and white because I wanted the images to be only about detail and texture.

Old barn; final days?

Old barn; final days?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Old barn; final days?

I'm looking forward to the before and after series. Collapsed barns can be rather picturesque.

That's a series of great images. It seems such a shame to let a great structure like that fail.

Still, as Manfred said, I hope that final result is also picturesque...

Real Name
    Paul David

Trevor, that is a cool barn. Last year the most photographed barn in the state of Minnesota was razed. In Wyoming there are quite a few as well. The problem is getting close enough to get a good shot.

Sometimes these barns live on as the wood is salvaged and used in new construction. The ceiling in our Wyoming house is from an old shed.

Quote Originally Posted by LePetomane View Post
    Trevor, that is a cool barn. Last year the most photographed barn in the state of Minnesota was razed. In Wyoming there are quite a few as well. The problem is getting close enough to get a good shot.

Sometimes these barns live on as the wood is salvaged and used in new construction. The ceiling in our Wyoming house is from an old shed.
    I would hope that if the wood is not rotten it would be salvaged, it seems a shame to release all that carbon into the atmosphere when it could be used to make something beautiful...

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Given the local history I suspect it will be converted into a pile of ash and pushed into a hole. There is a good market for old barn wood, however this is aspen wood. When dried out it turns into wood that is a extremely hard and brittle. Almost impossible to work.

Unfortunate really, however the land owner just bought a new seeder that cannot maneuver around the barn. There is a bit of a fight within the family about keeping it for sentimental reasons or having it go due to economics.

We will know who wins soon, if they are to burn it it will have to be before April when the field work season begins

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by LePetomane View Post

I have no problem with access. The sentimental side of the family is quite happy with my taking pictures, I just share with them on facebook and everyone is happy.

Real Name
    Sharon

Very nice! You have done the beautiful old barn justice.
    We have one here in skagit valley that is gorgeous but slowly disappearing... instead of razing it there are signs saying free barn wood. It’s sad to see it go but hopefully its bones are being put to use elsewhere.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Hey that looks a lot better than what we live in! Maybe we should make an offer?

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Great images !!!

Real Name
    John

Nicely composed and processed.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    Given the local history I suspect it will be converted into a pile of ash and pushed into a hole. There is a good market for old barn wood, however this is aspen wood. When dried out it turns into wood that is a extremely hard and brittle. Almost impossible to work.

Unfortunate really, however the land owner just bought a new seeder that cannot maneuver around the barn. There is a bit of a fight within the family about keeping it for sentimental reasons or having it go due to economics.

We will know who wins soon, if they are to burn it it will have to be before April when the field work season begins
    A pile of ash will not be nearly as interesting as a barn that has collapsed. On the other hand, a burning barn might be quite photogenic.