Thread: Printed Cloth

Real Name
    Brian

Printed Cloth

The Philippine 'Malong' is sort of the clothing equivalent to a Swiss Army Knife. They are tubular and about 2 meters long. They may be used as a portable changing tent, a sleeping bag, a hammock for a baby, a toga, or as I use 2 of them a cover for my easy chair. Thy come in many designs and colors.

Printed Cloth

Real Name
    George

Re: Printed Cloth

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    The Philippine 'Malong' is sort of the clothing equivalent to a Swiss Army Knife. They are tubular and about 2 meters long. They may be used as a portable changing tent, a sleeping bag, a hammock for a baby, a toga, or as I use 2 of them a cover for my easy chair. Thy come in many designs and colors.

Printed Cloth
    It's beautifull.
    I had to do a quick search to find out the difference between batik and malong. When I understood right, malong is woven and batik is printed. Batik comes mostly from Indonesia and is exported to the Philippines.
    My interest is coming from a visit to Ghana where batik is very populair. It's said to be brought there by the Dutch. It's sold as a half product on a roll. When investigating a roll I found a label "printed in the Netherlands".

George

Real Name
    John

Nicely captured.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    It's beautifull.
    I had to do a quick search to find out the difference between batik and malong. When I understood right, malong is woven and batik is printed. Batik comes mostly from Indonesia and is exported to the Philippines.
    My interest is coming from a visit to Ghana where batik is very populair. It's said to be brought there by the Dutch. It's sold as a half product on a roll. When investigating a roll I found a label "printed in the Netherlands".

George
    We are a global fraternity. Batik is (in my understanding)from Indonesia. I'm not sure about the weaving printing distinction.
    B.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nicely captured.
    thanks, I had set up my camera for going outside and then I wondered about this shot and stayed inside.

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    We are a global fraternity. Batik is (in my understanding)from Indonesia. I'm not sure about the weaving printing distinction.
    B.
    The Dutch had several posts in what's now called Ghana. It was also the Dutch main center for the commerce in slaves. Not to be proud of. So it came from Java to Ghana.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malong

George