Thread: Darktable now available for Windows

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Darktable now available for Windows

Has anyone tried Darktable as an alternative to Lightroom?

Darktable
    is now available for Windows and as my LR6 is unlikely to support a new camera when I update I am interested in alternatives.

Real Name
    James Edwards

Re: Darktable now available for Windows

Hi Paul, I remember it being 'announced for Mac , years back. I hadn't picked up that a windows version had been developed so thanks for the post and the link.
    I willl download it to my 'sandpit' system and take a looksee

I picked up on Affinity earlier this year and have actually bought a copy for evaluation (it is only? £50) and though not yet using it as a full alternative to CC I am gradually starting to believe it might well be.

One of my main criteria for a CC replacement was to be able to import layered PSD files which it does.

If Darktable is as good a substitute/alternative for Lightroom and free, I could see myself giving up Adobe.

Not there yet but it is encouraging that Adobe might be seeing some real challenges for the 'amateur' market
    James

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by James G View Post
    Hi Paul, I remember it being 'announced for Mac , years back. I hadn't picked up that a windows version had been developed so thanks for the post and the link.
    I willl download it to my 'sandpit' system and take a looksee

I picked up on Affinity earlier this year and have actually bought a copy for evaluation (it is only? £50) and though not yet using it as a full alternative to CC I am gradually starting to believe it might well be.

One of my main criteria for a CC replacement was to be able to import layered PSD files which it does.

If Darktable is as good a substitute/alternative for Lightroom and free, I could see myself giving up Adobe.

Not there yet but it is encouraging that Adobe might be seeing some real challenges for the 'amateur' market
    James
    You seem to be just ahead of the stage I am at. I have LR 5.7 and Photoshop CS6 and until I get a new camera I am fine. However, I will probably upgrade my camera within the next year and I doubt my current software will support it.

Any feedback from your using Affinity or trying Darkroom will be of interest.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    You seem to be just ahead of the stage I am at. I have LR 5.7 and Photoshop CS6 and until I get a new camera I am fine. However, I will probably upgrade my camera within the next year and I doubt my current software will support it.

Any feedback from your using Affinity or trying Darkroom will be of interest.
    Thanks for the heads up Paul. I am currently trying it out. First impressions are quite favourable. I currently use After Shot Pro 3 for raw and Affinity for further processing. I am fairly happy with both of these but I am always looking at new developments.

Dave