Thread: Christmas Present - Northern Lights

Real Name
    Erik

Christmas Present - Northern Lights

So this year we spent Christmas in Lapland - Northern Finland. It was a great experience and wonderful time for the entire family. We had reindeer sleigh rides, husky dogs sledding, and a trek through the forrest to find Santa's house deep in the woods for the kids to visit Santa.

During Christmas Dinner on the 25th, there was a sudden rush outside as the Northern Lights had become visible. I was prepared with my camera and had rented a 10-24mm f/2.8 Lens. As it was extremly cold outside, I wanted to make my one attempt worthwhile and also realizing that likely after coming back in from -29C inside my camera gear was going to have some condensation. So off I went to capture these photos.

1. ISO400, 15mm, f/2.8, 13s

2. ISO400, 16mm, f/2.8, 20 sec

3. ISO400, 17mm, f/2/8, 20 s - This one has a bit of light pollution - but I like the colors it adds.

I will have to admit the minute I saw these on the back of my LCD I was excited - really the above photos did not have a great deal of thought regarding Composition - I just short put down my camera and started to capture the image. For the most part I had everything set before going outside. I eventually found my composition - but the lights were gone by that time...the photo below is what I felt would have been a great composition and I setup my camera and waited nearly 1.5 hours for the lights to return - they did not. I waited inside the Hut around a fire, and meet some nice people - but not lights. Next time - golden rule is to find composition first - the lights happen quick and trying to find composition during the active period is too much.

As always C&C Welcome and appreciated.

Real Name
    John

Re: Christmas Present - Northern Lights

Nice series especially that last one.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Always a bit of a challenge trying to shoot the aurora. Fading and never coming back is a common problem. You are to be credited for waiting, often it is the only way to get good shots.

One word of advice Try shooting at ISO 1600, just gives you more flexibility in shooting if the lights are a bit dim. As well the stars are pinpoints unless you are exposing for more than 30 seconds.

Real Name
    Art

I like the one with the so called light pollution. Trees might get in the way when the lights kick in, but maybe not.