Thread: Caterpillar eating lemon tree seedling (we have more of eater and eaten)

Real Name
    Brian

Caterpillar eating lemon tree seedling (we have more of eater and eaten)

This caterpillar looks a lot like a bit of bird dropping. But for reasons unknown instead of black and white I ended up with these colors.

Caterpillar eating lemon tree seedling (we have more of eater and eaten)

Re: Caterpillar eating lemon tree seedling (we have more of eater and eaten)

Caterpillars make interesting although often tricky subjects. It can be difficult to tell which end is which can't it.

Real Name
    John

I believe that is the caterpillar of the Swallowtail butterfly.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalScape View Post
    I believe that is the caterpillar of the Swallowtail butterfly.
    We certainly have two or three Swallowtail varieties in our yard. This particular caterpillar will get much bigger and become very green.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Caterpillars make interesting although often tricky subjects. It can be difficult to tell which end is which can't it.
    That they do and it certainly can be. I don't know if it holds true for all types but I have noticed that in a few species the head has a cluster of sharp claw like legs while the middle and rear have roundish legs and feet with spikes for holding onto branches and leaves.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    That they do and it certainly can be. I don't know if it holds true for all types but I have noticed that in a few species the head has a cluster of sharp claw like legs while the middle and rear have roundish legs and feet with spikes for holding onto branches and leaves.
    The six in front are the real legs and are the six legs all insects have as adults. The ones in back are false legs, called prolegs. Apparently, variations in the number of prolegs is useful for identifying the species, but that exhausts my knowledge.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    The six in front are the real legs and are the six legs all insects have as adults. The ones in back are false legs, called prolegs. Apparently, variations in the number of prolegs is useful for identifying the species, but that exhausts my knowledge.
    exausts yours but expands mine

Yes, leg examination can be useful in separating butterfly/moth caterpillars from similar looking other larvae; such as some of the sawflies which occur here.

Real Name
    John

An interesting find, but then you have some unique (at least to my eyes) species in your neck of the woods.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    An interesting find, but then you have some unique (at least to my eyes) species in your neck of the woods.
    we have created a habitat that attracts wee beasties.