Thread: Profile

Real Name
    Fernando Cascais

“Art is technique: a means by which to materialize the invisible realm of the mind.” — Hiroshi Sugimoto

https://kaskaisphotos.wordpress.com/2017/12/30/profile/

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Profile

Excellent.

That is beautiful, restful - one might almost say Zen-like without any irony...

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

To give a view from the other side of the spectrum, I find the image trite and uninteresting. Fernando's photographic style is often not to my taste.

To misquote Albert Einstein. "Things should be as simple as possible, but not simpler". He was referring to scientific theories, but I think the thought applies to image making to. This image is too simple.

Well now Manfred, don't beat about the bush! Tell us what you think in blunt terms already!

I'm not sure that that comes under the heading of CC. One of the things I was taught about that was to find something to say that is positive which makes the negative easier to bear...

Still, you raise a point that is hopefully already self-evident to most. Photography is an art and art will always have its level of polarization. If we all liked the same things the world would be pretty bland, would it not?

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    To give a view from the other side of the spectrum, I find the image trite and uninteresting. Fernando's photographic style is often not to my taste.

To misquote Albert Einstein. "Things should be as simple as possible, but not simpler". He was referring to scientific theories, but I think the thought applies to image making to. This image is too simple.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Tronhard View Post
    Well now Manfred, don't beat about the bush! Tell us what you think in blunt terms already!

I'm not sure that that comes under the heading of CC. One of the things I was taught about that was to find something to say that is positive which makes the negative easier to bear...

Still, you raise a point that is hopefully already self-evident to most. Photography is an art and art will always have its level of polarization. If we all liked the same things the world would be pretty bland, would it not?
    I tend to agree.

I remember having a similar discussion with a member concerning the photography of the renowned American photographer, Stephen Shore. I personally find his work uninteresting and completely ordinary (in fact most of the postings here at CiC are far more interesting). I also find one of Ansel Adam's most renowned works, Moonlight - Hernandez New Mexico to be quite uninteresting and without a lot of merit, yet others get quite excited about it.

Tastes do differ and that is a good thing.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I tend to agree. I thought I was being positive... Frankly, there are very few images where I don't have something positive to say, so if I don't that says something about my feelings towards the image. I have done my CAPA judges training, so I am definitely sensitized to this.

I remember having a similar discussion with a member concerning the photography of the renowned American photographer, Stephen Shore. I personally find his work uninteresting and completely ordinary (in fact most of the postings here at CiC are far more interesting). I also find one of Ansel Adam's most renowned works, Moonlight - Hernandez New Mexico to be quite uninteresting and without a lot of merit, yet others get quite excited about it.

Tastes do differ and that is a good thing.

Manfred I completely agree about the tastes (obviously) and in fact I have some sympathy about Ansel Adams' most famous image - I think many of his other works had more merit... maybe it was was what Henri Cartier-Bresson described as the "Decisive Moment" of that shot that got so much attention. When one looks at the original vs the PP output, there is a world of difference...

I have no issue with you not liking the style of the OP's image, I just thought that in your obvious honesty you were a bit harsh: I must have missed something because even after trying to wring out an iota of positivity in your critique I was left bereft! Coming from me that is something considering I am regarded as having the tact of a bulldozer! LOL!!

Real Name
    John

Nicely captured.

Real Name
    Ted

We have a saying over here similar to that, Trev:

"No need to candy-coat it, Manfred, just tell it like it is . ."
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 5th January 2018 at 01:15 AM.

Real Name
    Sharon

**** ya it would. The style certainly is not for everyone. But alas neither is macro, bugs, birds, flowers, landscapes.... lol

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

For my taste, I'd crop a huge chunk off the left hand side, so the two vertical elements; woman and wave, were more balanced about the centre of the composition - but that's just me

Having a lot of negative space is part of Fernando's style.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    For my taste, I'd crop a huge chunk off the left hand side, so the two vertical elements; woman and wave, were more balanced about the centre of the composition - but that's just me

Having a lot of negative space is part of Fernando's style.
    So much so that I wonder if he would prefer the wave not to be there, leaving the woman's head starkly dead-center?

Looking again, I'm not certain that the black thing is actually a wave . ..
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 6th January 2018 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    I'm not certain that the black thing is actually a wave . ..
    Personally it looks extremely wave-like to me. I would expect that phenomena to be exhibited where there is a dip in the sea bed, thus the waver form is not slowed down at its base as much as the areas on either side and it has not curled over yet.

I considered taking off a bit off the left side to make a sort of rule of thirds, and it might work, but as has been mentioned the photographer likes negative space, which is certainly exampled here...
    Last edited by Tronhard; 7th January 2018 at 02:40 AM.