Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another barn

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Another barn

As with most of the rest of you (I suspect) I have been having problems uploading. I followed Manfred's advice on using Tiny pic Constant problem today uploading image to the forums and competitions and decided to post as a trial.

I made a trip to a a community 100 km east of Dawson Creek over the weekend and found a trove of old farm buildings. So now I have a huge supply which will take years to fully exploit. I cannot post any yet because I cannot import them to my processing program (the short version, minus expletives, is that Capture One needs a card reader to import and I do not have one for a XQD card On order but seemingly as rare as hen's teeth )

This is one of the local barns I have visited too many times to count, still a favourite because it it such a quiet spot and I get to chill out. And today at minus 35C with a wind I would be truly chilling.

Another barn

Real Name
    John

Re: Another barn

Nicely captured.

Real Name
    Janis

Lovely light, Trevor.

Real Name
    raymond

Sorry about the chill , but it seems to have well worth it , as your capture is really cool .

Real Name
    Brian

Perhaps I am missing something but I find that Capture 1 can dl directly from my card or it can import from a folder on my HD.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    Perhaps I am missing something but I find that Capture 1 can dl directly from my card or it can import from a folder on my HD.

The problem lies in my new camera having a weird memory card size, XQD, that has a superior read/write speed but is nowhere near standard. Consequently I am having a hard time getting a card reader that takes an XQD card. If Capture One would have the capacity to download via a direct link to the camera then it would not be a problem. It truly is just poor programming on the part of Capture One; really why should it matter whether it is a separate card reader or the camera acting as the source?

I had not considered trying to create a folder on the computer or a peripheral hard drive, I will try that.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I'll leave the question of card reading to those of a technical persuasion.

But, as to the image and to the prospect of a new source of further images. One of the distinct advantages of visit a location many ti9mes is that, it goes without saying, you get to know it. You can sit in your armchair of an evening imagining what your next images are going to look like.

And as for the new location: Wonderful. And the same 'rule' applies. Get knowing it and you will have a great time.
    Last edited by Donald; 10th January 2018 at 02:43 PM.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I'll leave the question of card reading to those of a technical persuasion.

But, as to the image and to the prospect of a new source of further images. One of the distinct advantages of visit a location many ti9mes is that, it goes without saying, you get to know it. You can sit in your armchair of an evening imagining what your next images are going to look like.

And as for the new location: Wonderful. And the same 'rule' applies. Get knowing it and you will have a great time.
    One of the advantages of utilizing the same sites for the last ten years is I have deep knowledge now of exactly what different light, time of day, seasons, clouds and ground covers look like. And what works well or does not. (See my statement in my tagline below; I have made at least ten thousand rotten images; not to say more are not on the horizon) I am fairly confident I can extrapolate that to the new area, still prairie and old buildings after all.

I think however the frustration level will be higher. I am at most 20 minutes from the current sites, the new area is an hour away. This precludes me darting out there when conditions are right. I may be forced to retire to facilitate the necessary photography.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    I may be forced to retire to facilitate the necessary photography.
    Oh, I recommend it. I am in the position now, 3 years after retiring, to think of each day as being mine and I can choose to go and photograph any and every day.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

One of the advantages of utilizing the same sites for the last ten years is I have deep knowledge now of exactly what different light, time of day, seasons, clouds and ground covers look like. And what works well or does not.
    Which is of course why local photographers usually get the best shots of local sites.

One question - no snow?

Real Name
    Ted

One of the advantages of utilizing the same sites for the last ten years is I have deep knowledge now of exactly what different light, time of day, seasons, clouds and ground covers look like. And what works well or does not. (See my statement in my tagline below; I have made at least ten thousand rotten images; not to say more are not on the horizon) I am fairly confident I can extrapolate that to the new area, still prairie and old buildings after all.

I think however the frustration level will be higher. I am at most 20 minutes from the current sites, the new area is an hour away. This precludes me darting out there when conditions are right. I may be forced to retire to facilitate the necessary photography.
    Interesting sub-topic. As a photo-geek, rather than an actual photographer, my favorite site is our street which is about 100 yards from the house. It's a North-South dirt road with grass and woodland each side.

Another barn

Each day and each season provides endless "test scenes" to try out various cameras and lenses. I do have a favorite lone oak in a field about three miles away, which I visit from time to time. Got my eye on an old farmhouse, six or seven miles away down another dirt road. Haven't taken my cameras there yet, just plain lazy I guess.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 10th January 2018 at 03:42 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Ted, I think the advantages of shooting in a place you know well, are immense. Of course, it's good to go to new places, see new things and try out your photography, but is not necessary in order to make photographs.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Ted, I think the advantages of shooting in a place you know well, are immense.
    Indeed, Donald. I have grass and "bob wahr" for detail, a power pole with a light gray transformer for color-picking a color-balance plus power wires for checking on veiling flare. And so on and so forth ...

One day, I might take a "real picture" and post it here . . . don't hold ya breath.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Which is of course why local photographers usually get the best shots of local sites.

One question - no snow?
    I took this in October, just before onset of full winter. The barn is only accessible by foot now. I do try to get out there but I need to carefully choose the days. It is a kilometre from the road and exposed to full wind. Anything below minus 10C with a light breeze just is too risky for hypothermia and just plain miserable.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

When it comes to shooting the same things over and over, I think of Monet and his doing over 250 paintings of the water lilies/pond in his backyard. He seemed quite content exploring the variables of that subject. I am no Monet, but the thought comforts me.

Real Name
    Dan

It's a beautiful image, but the lean on the near side, along with the steep angle of the roof ridge, seems unnatural. Is it really this way, or is this wide-angle perspective distortion? If the latter, do you think it would look even better if you tamed that a bit in post?

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    It's a beautiful image, but the lean on the near side, along with the steep angle of the roof ridge, seems unnatural. Is it really this way, or is this wide-angle perspective distortion? If the latter, do you think it would look even better if you tamed that a bit in post?
    Good point. It is a wide angle artifact Thanks for pointing it out Pushed me to try correcting it, which is new for me. So; I am not sure it is my inexperience or the program, but I had to choose between having the horizon true or the barn. Tried several times, never seemed to reach a compromise I was happy with. Finally elected to leave as is because to my eye it is more important to have the horizontal horizon than the barn all square.

Real Name
    Dan

I'm not good at that sort of thing either. I just tried a quick and dirty, using two transform-warp layers in PS, but it only gets partway there; the far left of the barn is still not vertical.

I don't know what software you use, but LR has pretty good perspective correct in its lens profiles. I wonder if that would help.

Another barn

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

I'm not good at that sort of thing either. I just tried a quick and dirty, using two transform-warp layers in PS, but it only gets partway there; the far left of the barn is still not vertical.

I don't know what software you use, but LR has pretty good perspective correct in its lens profiles. I wonder if that would help.

Another barn
    Use Capture One to process My lens is listed in the lens profile list. I suspect there is no hope as I was quite low, the lens pointed upwards, at 18 mm wide angle and close to the barn. All conspiring to distort the building quite aggressively. Will have to rely on people accepting it on merits and not flaws (just like me)

Real Name
    Ted

Another barn
    I got much the same in RawTherapee, Dan:

Another barn

Didn't reach a limit but the roof was getting too big and that left corner was still tilted but the other corner was starting to tilt the wrong way (outward).

Quite a challenge, eh?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast