Thread: Serious obstacle - when reading Camera Reviews and Tutorials - from PC PDF-writers

Real Name
    Pica

Serious obstacle - when reading Camera Reviews and Tutorials - from PC PDF-writers

Hello Everyone,
    Background: I am a photographer and an advanced user of software. And I have got a problem which has been troubling me for some time now; and which I have not been able to solve yet. Thus is turn to our forum!

When I learn further from photography and Photoshop tutorials, as well as read camera reviews, on the internet, I favour, as many of us do, highlighting, yellow-marking vital sentences and sections. So I print them with one of my PC PDF printers (like Bullzip, etc).

For several years this has gone very well. Unfortunately, not so any more. In say 50% of the cases when printing - an interesting internet camera review or tutorial - it works well and I can yellow mark vital parts splendidly well (like before). However, more and more often that is not possible any more when printing an internet page. Please advice!

(i) Since I am seasoned user I wonder, do anyone here posses the knowledge to describe the technical background to the above obstacle? (Note: To me is is rather clear that this has not got to do with any parameters settings (which I am well aware of) in the PDF writer when printing.)

(ii) Since this problem is impacting my photography workflow seriously, can anyone here suggest how to solve this, so that I can continue using my efficient procedure of utilizing my present PDF printers (e.g. Bullzip) like before and to be able to high light the material?

As always THANK you for your cooperation in solving this obstacle and mystery!

-----
    Note: It seems that this has not got anything to do with the PDF printer itself (as I have seriously tried several different; and a specific one does work on one internet page and not another). Note 2: I of course know about other PDF printing tools e.g. online – however I need to understand and solve this challenge above. Thanks.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Serious obstacle - when reading Camera Reviews and Tutorials - from PC PDF-writer

That would be a question that should be directed at the company that wrote the software you are using. If it has worked until recently, that suggests a bug that was introduced during a software update or even a change to the printer driver. With knowing what operating system you use and the print software you are using, you haven’t given anywhere enough information in your question.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: Serious obstacle - when reading Camera Reviews and Tutorials - from PC PDF-writer

Can you highlight the entire page?

As far as I understand text fields can have the individual characters highlighted but other fields/blocks such as an embedded image can only be highlighted entirely. Any text within an image is simply part of the image. PDF files may or may not contain the character font and if a font is missing a substitute is used but only if the characters are within a text field.

You could try importing the file into Photoshop and using it to highlight any text embedded in an image. This is a rather clumsy approach when dealing with a multipage document but it can be done.

Real Name
    John

Is there an "enable printing" dialogue at the top of the document, Sometimes a document can be protected?

Real Name
    Peter

There are quite a few PDF readers - Adobe, Foxit, Cute, Sumatra to name a few. One of these may be able to print your documents.

If they're protected, the only way is to get in touch with the authors and ask them for unprotected copies.

Real Name
    Dan

have you tried flattening the image?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Pica,

Please provide a link(s) to one or two example web pages (pdf reviews?) that thwart your intentions.

Thanks,
    Dave

I use a free version of Evernote to save "clips" of internet content, then print from there. It's a great program for saving and organizing items from photographic sites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk