Thread: A few minutes playtime

Real Name
    Richard

A few minutes playtime

Every once in a while it is fun to shoot images for no other reason that wondering how they will come out. I pass this plant many times each day and have always wondered how it would look photographed at a slow shutter speed while zooming during the shot.

A few minutes playtime

Today I set up my tripod and 5Dii camera with 70-200mm lens... I used ISO 100 and selected f/32 as my f/stop because I wanted the slowest shutter speed (without using a ND filter) and because I didn't worry about losing sharpness because of diffraction (after all, I was going to zoom during the exposure). The exposure time was a bit over three seconds and I kept the lens in manual focus.
    I had a lot of different exposures, sometimes beginning at the longest focal length and sometimes beginning at the shortest focal length I wanted to use. I experimented with various zoom speeds and various post processing. I am not going to bore you with all my variations but, these are just two of many...

A few minutes playtime

A few minutes playtime

Did I learn anything from the exercise. Not really, except it is relaxing just to have fun with a camera rather than to shoot for any specific purpose...

I did learn one thing a long while ago from playing with my camera like this. I always return my camera to a standard setting so if I have to grab it and shoot in a hurry (like when a dog is doing something cute) it is ready to shoot - it is not in manual focus and is not at f/32. I usually keep the camera with a charged battery, a fresh memory card and with Programmed exposure and ISO 320 selected. That way I have the best chance of getting a shot if I just grab and shoot. If I have time, I will switch to another mode like AV, Manual or TV but, if I don't have time my standard setup will normally get the shot!
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 15th January 2018 at 01:32 AM.

Real Name
    John

Re: A few minutes playtime

Nice effects.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Great experiments; like them

Real Name
    Art

I agree that it's all about having fun, which it isn't when you leave the ISO on 4000 from the night before.

Real Name
    mark

Quote Originally Posted by Artshot View Post
    I agree that it's all about having fun, which it isn't when you leave the ISO on 4000 from the night before.