Thread: Monochromatic Beauty(?) Purple flower

Real Name
    Brian

Monochromatic Beauty(?) Purple flower

I shot in B&W, tried to process the shot in colour. Failed miserably. But it seems to work as a monochromatic shot?

Monochromatic Beauty(?) Purple flower

Real Name
    Bill

Re: Monochromatic Beauty(?) Purple flower

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    I shot in B&W, tried to process the shot in colour. Failed miserably. But it seems to work as a monochromatic shot?
    Now I'm truly puzzled. Why on earth would you shoot in B&W (i.e. tell the camera to ignore that fact that the sensor has created a colour file and it should pretend it is mono) then edit to restore the colour?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by billtils View Post
    Now I'm truly puzzled. Why on earth would you shoot in B&W (i.e. tell the camera to ignore that fact that the sensor has created a colour file and it should pretend it is mono) then edit to restore the colour?
    One of my college photography instructors suggested a similar approach for people who wanted to learn B&W photography; set the camera to shoot B&W JPEGs and shoot JPEG + raw. That way one can learn to visualize what a scene would look like in B&W and could still go the colour route if the B&W is not working.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

One would have to see the colour version to compare.

I personally find that certain subjects, like flowers, usually work better in colour. But that is just my opinion and would love to be proven wrong.

Removing the colour component in an image increases the level of abstraction and simplifies the image, but in the case of flowers it also removes one of the key defining things about them; the beautiful colours.

Real Name
    Brian

I have that effect on many people.

I usually shoot in mono because it helps me (I make no claims for other people) to see and frame my shot.

Capture One takes my monochromatic Raw file and shows it to me in colour.

This allows me to compose with less distraction and edit in colour. Or to convert back to monochrome.

For me, the best of all worlds.

Real Name
    Dan

Are you sure? With the exception of one Leica, none of the cameras I know of (not a huge number) shoot monochrome raw files. All of them capture a regular raw file but then create a monochrome JPEG. But maybe Sonys are like that one Leica in this respect.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Are you sure? With the exception of one Leica, none of the cameras I know of (not a huge number) shoot monochrome raw files. All of them capture a regular raw file but then create a monochrome JPEG. But maybe Sonys are like that one Leica in this respect.
    I am sure that I love my wife, that I'm getting older, fatter and balder. The rest is all mayby's'. However I do know that when I shoot in Raw monochrome and dl to my hd they come up in black and white.

Real Name
    Janis

I am sure that I love my wife
    With that one line, you relieved all the toxicity of my work day. Thank you, Brian! For me, b&w can work very well with flowers where there is an emphasis on shape, pattern or texture, but I don’t find that this particular image meets that standard. I quite understand why you would want to rid yourself of the colour distraction when composing, though. I think I might try that!

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by purplehaze View Post
    With that one line, you relieved all the toxicity of my work day. Thank you, Brian! For me, b&w can work very well with flowers where there is an emphasis on shape, pattern or texture, but I don’t find that this particular image meets that standard. I quite understand why you would want to rid yourself of the colour distraction when composing, though. I think I might try that!
    my pleasure and I shall

Real Name
    Bill

I am sure that I love my wife, that I'm getting older, fatter and balder. The rest is all mayby's'. However I do know that when I shoot in Raw monochrome and dl to my hd they come up in black and white.

Brian

The answer is probably here:

"It’s important to understand that, unlike with film, switching the camera to monochrome is purely a processing setting. The sensor is still recording images with full colour information, and if you record raw files alongside your JPEGs, they’ll still include all of it. It’s just the JPEG output that’s monochrome.
    Read more at http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/technique/camera_skills/shoot-black-white-photos-in-camera-42782#6osgfu4XlyywrAYm.99"

Real Name
    Brian

Brian

The answer is probably here:

"It’s important to understand that, unlike with film, switching the camera to monochrome is purely a processing setting. The sensor is still recording images with full colour information, and if you record raw files alongside your JPEGs, they’ll still include all of it. It’s just the JPEG output that’s monochrome.
    Read more at http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/technique/camera_skills/shoot-black-white-photos-in-camera-42782#6osgfu4XlyywrAYm.99"
    Except that I only shoot in Raw and there are no Jpegs on my card that I'm aware of.

Real Name
    Bill

Except that I only shoot in Raw and there are no Jpegs on my card that I'm aware of.
    Exactly! You are shooting raw which is what C1 downloads and why it is in colour. Setting the camera to "Mono" will only affect jpegs not the raw, and since you don't shoot in raw+jpeg there is no mono file on your card to download. If you are going by what you see on the camera back LCD, this is a jpeg. What you are doing is a technique used by some avid mono shooters since the LCD will give you a preview of what you are going to get when you convert the raw. As far as I know only Leica and PhaseOne make dedicated digital mono cameras.

Real Name
    George

I have that effect on many people.

I usually shoot in mono because it helps me (I make no claims for other people) to see and frame my shot.

This allows me to compose with less distraction and edit in colour. Or to convert back to monochrome.

For me, the best of all worlds.
    The RAW file is containing the sensor info, the bayern array with colors. When converted to a RGB raster image the converter can take in account the camera settings, in your case monochrome. But the RAW file is still holding the primary colors from the sensor.
    So what Capture One is doing is forgetting that camera setting. In a converter you can switch that on and of.
    Different will be when you use the embedded jpg. That's the result of the in-camera conversion so with the camera settings.

I do understand your intention.

George

Real Name
    Brian

Exactly! You are shooting raw which is what C1 downloads and why it is in colour. Setting the camera to "Mono" will only affect jpegs not the raw, and since you don't shoot in raw+jpeg there is no mono file on your card to download. If you are going by what you see on the camera back LCD, this is a jpeg. What you are doing is a technique used by some avid mono shooters since the LCD will give you a preview of what you are going to get when you convert the raw. As far as I know only Leica and PhaseOne make dedicated digital mono cameras.
    Let me explain one more time. If I shoot in Raw mono, come into our house, take the card out, dl to my hard drive and look at the shots SOOC they are mono.

If i take the same shots and dl directly to Capture 1 they are colour.

I can choose to shoot in Raw + JPEG but I only shoot in Raw.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    The RAW file is containing the sensor info, the bayern array with colors. When converted to a RGB raster image the converter can take in account the camera settings, in your case monochrome. But the RAW file is still holding the primary colors from the sensor.
    So what Capture One is doing is forgetting that camera setting. In a converter you can switch that on and of.
    Different will be when you use the embedded jpg. That's the result of the in-camera conversion so with the camera settings.

I do understand your intention.

George
    excellent.