Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Kate

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Kate

Vancouver, Canada based model Kate Snig was in town visiting her parents. I managed to get an hour of shooting time with her this afternoon. Working with an experienced model is always a pleasure.

Shooting was a combination of daylight (camera right) with a studio flash as a bounce light (camera left) used as a fill light for this shot.

Kate

Real Name
    John

Re: Kate

Nicely done, I like the control of the shadows you've achieved.

Real Name
    Dave

Very nice image Manfred.

Dave

Can see why you chose this pic, Manfred, great balance. Almost a yogic pose, right leg on top with the left arm on top. I almost invariably pass on these images as I have no experience, but this one grabbed me.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
    Can see why you chose this pic, Manfred
    The truth is a little simpler. This is one of the few images I took of Kate that would not be considered to be offensive in some quarters

I tend to follow the "Facebook rule". If I can get away with posting an image on Facebook, I will post it here. If I have my doubts, I will not generally do so.

Real Name
    Kim

I like this Manfred. She looks like a ballerina - there is a softness to her, and I find it interesting that I don't find the image as tack sharp as your images always are. I can't imagine any image of her would be offensive - she exudes grace.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by KimC View Post
    I like this Manfred. She looks like a ballerina - there is a softness to her, and I find it interesting that I don't find the image as tack sharp as your images always are. I can't imagine any image of her would be offensive - she exudes grace.
    Yes Kim, the image is a touch soft.

Part of the reason is that I used a skin softening application; Imagenomic's Portraiture 3. Part of the reason is that some of the shots were a touch soft and I haven't quite figured out why yet (this includes images in the set that I did not post). I suspect that it might be related to my dragging the shutter to balance off the flash and studio light. My the shutter speed was a touch slower than I would normally use. I've used this technique before and have not had any issues. I'm using my usual focusing technique, so that should not be it either. Frankly I'm puzzled too and am going to double check this at my next shoot. Unfortunately when one pushes at the boundaries a bit, the results are not always what one aims for...

Real Name
    Kim

I like it slightly soft as it is as I feel it compliments her and the feeling it gives me. Someone recently told me to feel rather than think - that’s what lead me to comment on your two images - I enjoy imagery that makes me feel something.

Since it wasn’t meant to be that way, I appreciate your additional explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Yes Kim, the image is a touch soft.

Part of the reason is that I used a skin softening application; Imagenomic's Portraiture 3. Part of the reason is that some of the shots were a touch soft and I haven't quite figured out why yet (this includes images in the set that I did not post). I suspect that it might be related to my dragging the shutter to balance off the flash and studio light. My the shutter speed was a touch slower than I would normally use. I've used this technique before and have not had any issues. I'm using my usual focusing technique, so that should not be it either. Frankly I'm puzzled too and am going to double check this at my next shoot. Unfortunately when one pushes at the boundaries a bit, the results are not always what one aims for...

Real Name
    Marius Pavel

She look great. I like the lighting and the colors.