Thread: Lumina Borealis - Take 2

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Lumina Borealis - Take 2

I spent a hour or so at Fort Henry, at Kingston, Canada shooting the Lumina Borealis sound & light show. The show was pretty well identical to the one I shot in late 2016, but I had different equipment along this time.

1. Entrance to the Lower Fort and wet ditch

Lumina Borealis - Take 2

2. Display in the Dry Moat

Lumina Borealis - Take 2

3. Lower Fort Activities

Lumina Borealis - Take 2

Re: Lumina Borealis - Take 2

Manfred your night shots continually leave me awestruck... What was the temperature like?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Thanks Trev.

Actually it was fairly mild with temperatures hovering around 0° C / 32° F (well it's mild for the middle of January for this part of the world). As long as one managed to avoid the wind.

The fort is located at the extreme eastern end of Lake Ontario and at the top of a hill, so there is nothing to block the wind once one leaves the fort. The wind was blowing fairly hard out of the south-west, so getting to and from the fort was not that pleasant.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 20th January 2018 at 06:56 AM.

and all the time I am suffering here at about 29DegC! I would like to say I envy you... but I can't quite manage that!

Real Name
    John

Nice captures.

Real Name
    Art

Those are all great shots. The clarity and detail really shows. Going to have to give up my hi ISO habit and pack along a tripod.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quite the display Does it vary like a slide show on the walls or is the variation from site to site?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    Quite the display Does it vary like a slide show on the walls or is the variation from site to site?
    The projected graphics on the wall (other than the name "Lumina Borealis" are in continuous motion and change all the time, although the rate of change does vary. Some of the displays are influenced by motion sensors, others are synched with microphones that one can talk or sing into and some are just a long video loop.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Artshot View Post
    Those are all great shots. The clarity and detail really shows. Going to have to give up my hi ISO habit and pack along a tripod.
    All shots were done with a tripod. The first two shots were done at ISO 64 and the last one at ISO 6400.

While I do prefer low ISO shots and long exposures, this is not always a practical approach. Part of the reason I went this route for the first two images is that the place was quite busy and by going long exposure (up to 30 seconds), the people that walked by are not visible in the shots.