Thread: Sagebrush

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Sagebrush

When responding to a post of Brian's I got to thinking about why I never post any of my images of wood and rock texture. I suppose the reason is based on feedback from posting online and people I work with, which is basically complete noninterest, that they are an idiosyncratic interest of mine. Doesn't stop me shooting the subject, I just have accepted that it seems to be a very limited appeal

However; if you like this sort of thing this is one of the things you like.

This is sage brush. Actually still quite alive although it looks quite shabby and near dead . It looks like the image is noisy, but the bark has tiny texture that looks remarkably like pixels when photographed

Sagebrush

Real Name
    John

Re: Sagebrush

Nicely captured, has a bit of an animal spirit hidden within. While I rarely shoot such scenes I do like the look and what would draw my attention even more would be if this wood were wetted, however the splash of sunlight gives an equal warmth.

Looking at the range of tones - from the sunlit leaves on the top left and bottom right, to the deeper shades on the top right you did a great job on getting the exposures bang on. What gear and settings did you use?

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    what would draw my attention even more would be if this wood were wetted, however the splash of sunlight gives an equal warmth.
    This is in the desert so no water supply at hand. I do have an internal water supply that might work for wetting: unpredictable whether it 1)would be enough for a subject of this size and 2) available for multiple subjects on a given day.
    Last edited by tbob; 20th January 2018 at 07:51 PM.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Tronhard View Post
    Looking at the range of tones - from the sunlit leaves on the top left and bottom right, to the deeper shades on the top right you did a great job on getting the exposures bang on. What gear and settings did you use?
    Taken with a Nikon D700, 200mm f/2.8 macro, ISO 200, 0.1 sec, f/20 no exposure compensation.
    For this type of thing I will shoot a test shot using the camera meter and one focus spot where I suspect the best depth of field will be obtained. Check to make sure the bright areas are not clipped, adjust exposure compensation as needed. The lock the focus down and shoot again.

In post processing I have quite a bit of latitude to recover with Capture One. I adjust the image to suit how it "should look" and what makes me happy.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    This is in the desert so no water supply at hand. I do have an internal water supply that might work for wetting: unpredictable whether it 1)would be enough for a subject of this size and 2) available for multiple subjects on a given day.
    I understood this supply source was reserved for citrus trees. So I fully approve of your reluctance to publicly waste such a resource.

Nice shot and the exposure/PP adjustments well handled.

Real Name
    Andrew

I found your comments regarding the limited appeal of photographs of wood and stone texture to be consistent with my own experience. Some such photos have been well received but more often than not people don't have the same enthusiasm for the subject that I have. Perhaps it's my technique? But never mind, I still like them.....and your sagebrush shot is very appealing.
    Andrew