Thread: Rural "Street"

Real Name
    Sharon

Rural "Street"

Up in the Cascade Foothills, near Darrington, WA.
    Film camera. Black & White with a tweak.

skf

Rural "Street"
    Last edited by lovelife65; 24th January 2018 at 09:57 PM.

Re: Rural "Street"

It looks vintage - is the shot recent or an older one... it seems to have some light damage to the centre 1/2 of the image.

What was the tweak then?

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by Tronhard View Post
    It looks vintage - is the shot recent or an older one... it seems to have some light damage to the centre 1/2 of the image.

What was the tweak then?
    It's an OLD OLD camera, and the film door may not stay as closed as it should. Or, in this situation the film rewind was quite difficult so... It is a recent take.

Modifying these images is tough going. The modifications may not work, making it look as tho it is overexposed in the center. I guess I can work some more on it.

In a way that works, it LOOKS vintage, despite the relatively recent models of the vehicles. It reminds me of something from the early part of the last century in its graininess and light band... You could really do some great shots of vintage subjects with that setup.

Real Name
    Sharon

Thank you for the kind words. Film gives the ability to do so more I believe. But, I'm not that great at it (but I use it to learn, as I'm not that great at Digital either...LOL).

This is the original with just a bit of a crop. Those dogs were not thrilled I was stopped. I'm just glad the resident of the home didn't come out with a gun

Rural "Street"
    In a way that works, it LOOKS vintage, despite the relatively recent models of the vehicles. It reminds me of something from the early part of the last century in its graininess and light band... You could really do some great shots of vintage subjects with that setup.

I agree.. this was my best effort - you KNEW I was driven to make the buildings vertical! LOL

Rural "Street"

It looks like they started off with a motor home then build a fairly massive and permanent addition off the side.

Real Name
    Sharon

:-)
    You did a tighter crop than I may have but not bad. Your buildings may be leaning a bit the other way? I swear I do an adjustment on these (and yes I use the horizontal bar in camera.... except for film which does not have one).
    Curious your edits, as clicking on it it looks WAY more grainy

I agree.. this was my best effort - you KNEW I was driven to make the buildings vertical! LOL

Rural "Street"

It looks like they started off with a motor home then build a fairly massive and permanent addition off the side.

The lamp post is not vertical, it leans the other way... but I tried to get the two buildings fairly straight.

Yep, I went for a gritty, grainy look... just to add to the whole sense of depression!

Real Name
    Sharon

The increasing contrast of the blacks and whites works well. Washing it out as I did was not necessary. Thanks for taking a stab.

It is not an uncommon scene in the rural parts up here. Lots of poverty. Rare to see dogs sitting on top of broken down cars tho, I thought it was pretty ... um, something

The lamp post is not vertical, it leans the other way... but I tried to get the two buildings fairly straight.

Yep, I went for a gritty, grainy look... just to add to the whole sense of depression!

Real Name
    John

I like the pups in the image, the trucks don't really add to the image; you could crop to include the front end and still get the rural atmosphere.

Real Name
    Richard

This is a neat shot and shows the way that humans can screw up a beautiful environment!

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I like the pups in the image, the trucks don't really add to the image; you could crop to include the front end and still get the rural atmosphere.
    Thanks, I saw that dog sitting on top of the car and said oh my what a trip.

That’s a great thought on focusing more on the pups with the crop of the pickup.
    Some of these properties in rural WA are so crazy hard to eliminate what’s not important.....sometimes the yard full of stuff tells the story alone.
    If one isn’t into that kind of thing.

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    This is a neat shot and shows the way that humans can screw up a beautiful environment!
    Thank you Richard. Darrington is a beautiful setting but yes unfortunately there is a lot of poverty.
    Sometimes I’m more scared taking photos in these areas than in an inner city.
    Lots of meth and other stuff happening that may bring someone coming out with a gun if not careful.

Real Name
    Marius Pavel

Nice image, is it old or did you precesed it?