Thread: Suggestion: use Internet Explorer to post photos on CiC (Cambridge in Colour)

Real Name
    Antonio Luz

Use Internet Explorer to post photos on CiC (Cambridge in Colour)

Recently, I tried several times to post photos on CiC using Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome and all my trials failled.
    A friend of mine suggested me to use Internet Explorer and...now I can (finally) post my photos.
    I hope this advice be helpful for other CiC members.
    Antonio.
    Last edited by Panama Hat & Camera; 26th January 2018 at 01:27 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Use Internet Explorer to post photos on CiC (Cambridge in Colour)

Thanks for the information. While what you have written appears to be correct (I was able to directly access and upload an image with TinyPic), Microsoft no longer recommends the use of Internet Explorer and recommends their newest browser, Edge.

The fact that one is able to use TinyPic in the "traditional" way via the CiC button suggests that the security measures that other browsers have implemented have NOT implemented in IE, so using it could open the user to security risks when browsing.

I would suggest that anyone who still uses IE does so at their own risk.

Real Name
    Remco

Anyway, for some of us, internet explorer just isn't available (Linux ...)

And, if Firefox, Chrome etc. block access to Tinypic through their security features,
    what does that imply for tinypics? (although I'm not always 100% convinced those
    blocks are purely security based)

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by revi View Post
    Anyway, for some of us, internet explorer just isn't available (Linux ...)

And, if Firefox, Chrome etc. block access to Tinypic through their security features,
    what does that imply for tinypics? (although I'm not always 100% convinced those
    blocks are purely security based)
    CiC has converted to using the secure https protocol while TinyPic has not updated to it. Without using the encryption used in https, a number of browsers were reporting the CiC site as being insecure, so Sean converted this site to fix that issue. It seems that modern browsers will not allow a direct link from a secure site to an insecure one, which is why IE (which has not really been updated since 2015) works and more modern browsers like Chrome and FireFox do not .

There is a work around that I cover in Constant problem today uploading image to the forums and competitions #14

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

My firefox blocked TinyPic (it did not tell me) so I tried Avast SafeZone Browser which I use for online banking. It advised me about the block and gave me the option to unblock it. When I did the TintPic upload panel became active.

Real Name
    George

I don't know that problem. But I think you're using a peace of software placed on the Tinypic server to download/upload your pictures. Why not just copy the image location and past that to the forum?
    I don't use Tinypic so I don't have practical experience.

George

Real Name
    Antonio Luz

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    CiC has converted to using the secure https protocol while TinyPic has not updated to it. Without using the encryption used in https, a number of browsers were reporting the CiC site as being insecure, so Sean converted this site to fix that issue. It seems that modern browsers will not allow a direct link from a secure site to an insecure one, which is why IE (which has not really been updated since 2015) works and more modern browsers like Chrome and FireFox do not .

There is a work around that I cover in Constant problem today uploading image to the forums and competitions #14
    I received some security warnings when I posted photos in the monthly competition (January) and in the minicomp #2451 (the photos posting rate in this competition is being very slow).
    Thank you for your information about the work "Constant problem today uploading image to the forums and competitions #14".

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Panama Hat & Camera View Post
    I received some security warnings when I posted photos in the monthly competition (January) and in the minicomp #2451 (the photos posting rate in this competition is being very slow).
    Thank you for your information about the work "Constant problem today uploading image to the forums and competitions #14".
    I'm trying to understand the problem.
    Are you referring to the upload to Tinypic.? Or are you referring to the linking with this forum? And if you get security warnings what where these?

I just went to Tinypic and could upload a picture without registering. And linking in another tab. With FF. And Zonealarm. And Win 8.1

George

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Panama Hat & Camera View Post
    Recently, I tried several times to post photos on CiC using Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome and all my trials failled.
    A friend of mine suggested me to use Internet Explorer and...now I can (finally) post my photos.
    I hope this advice be helpful for other CiC members.
    Antonio.
    Very very odd, Firefox fails to upload images but what about Flickr.

Suggestion: use Internet Explorer to post photos on CiC (Cambridge in Colour)

Suggestion: use Internet Explorer to post photos on CiC (Cambridge in Colour)_MG_2710_hf copy by Stephen Davis, on Flickr

Real Name
    Steve

Use BB code pasted into the post.

Real Name
    Antonio Luz

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    I'm trying to understand the problem.
    Are you referring to the upload to Tinypic.? Or are you referring to the linking with this forum? And if you get security warnings what where these?

I just went to Tinypic and could upload a picture without registering. And linking in another tab. With FF. And Zonealarm. And Win 8.1

George
    I'm referring to the linking between Tinypic and this forum. The message that appeared was: "Only secure content is displayed. What's the risk? [Show all content]"
    Antonio.

Real Name
    Antonio Luz

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Use BB code pasted into the post.
    I don't know how to change the BB code.
    My settings are shown below.

What I have to do to change the BB code?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

If you use the TinyPic website, rather than using the link button, you have to post this line into your post. This is the BB Code.

Real Name
    Antonio Luz

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post

George
    This way of posting photos works fine.
    Thanks a lot.
    Antonio.

Real Name
    Antonio Luz

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    If you use the TinyPic website, rather than using the link button, you have to post this line into your post. This is the BB Code.

This way of posting photos works fine.
    (I used Google Chrome).
    Thanks a lot.
    Antonio.