Thread: Blakeney Rapids - Ice Formations

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Blakeney Rapids - Ice Formations

We did a short 30 minute drive to the Blakeney Rapids on the Mississippi River to shoot some of the ice formations where the water and ice shelves meet. It was a "balmy" 5 °C / 41 °F today and overcast so it was a nice day for those types of activities.

We were often on the ice shelves that overhand the river. No rescues necessary today as the ice took our weight.

1. View of the upper part of the Blakeney Rapids.

2. Ice Formations and flowing water I

3. Ice Formations and flowing water II

Re: Blakeney Rapids - Ice Formations

Nice images Manfred. The third one is interesting as far a textures go you can obviously see the frozen ice at the top, but the water flowing beneath looks like it could be frozen to, with embedded air bubbles.

Real Name
    John

Nicely captured, like the formations of 2nd and 3rd images.

Real Name
    Stu

I really like the artistic textures of the ice alongside the running water. A visit I'll have to do myself before the ice melts later in the spring. Can I ask what your settings were for #2?

Real Name
    Dan

Nice shots of an interesting subject, Manfred. Did you take any with long ss?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    Nice shots of an interesting subject, Manfred. Did you take any with long ss?
    Yes - I had a polarizer, a 5-stop and 10-stop ND along, so my exposures ran from fairly high shutter speeds right up to 30 seconds.

This is a 6-second exposure and even at that reasonably "fast" shutter speed, the water was moving so quickly that I was getting textureless white areas that are distracting.

Last edited by Manfred M; 29th January 2018 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Added image

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Classic images

Real Name
    Dan

I like it, Manfred. IMO the long ss basically removes the water and focuses attention on the ice.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    I like it, Manfred. IMO the long ss basically removes the water and focuses attention on the ice.
    I never thought I'd hear myself saying it, but I agree with Dan's view.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I never thought I'd hear myself saying it, but I agree with Dan's view.
    Donald - I had not shot at slow shutter speeds or used ND filters for some time until I was travelling in the Himalayas at this time last year with a Canon Photo Mentor. We got into a discussion on soft water, and while I don't completely agree with his position, I ended up re-examining my thoughts on this technique and ended up coming away with some images that worked really well, in fact much better than the same shot done at faster shutter speeds.

The issue with long-exposure water is very much the same thing as when people say that they don't like HDRI, partially de-colourized images, etc. What they are really saying is that there are so many poorly done examples out there using those techniques that they automatically view using these techniques as "bad".

My experience suggests that all of these techniques have a place and people should put aside their prejudices against them and discover when they are effective. Dan's comment is precisely why I was trying for with long exposure; to create some separation between the water and the ice. I find that "slow water" works well when it is used to enhance the subject, rather than being the main subject.

Real Name
    Joe

They are all great and interesting shots, but my favourite is the one of "Upper Blakeney Rapids".