Thread: Trying to salvage some from the 'ho-hum' category

Real Name
    Brian

Trying to salvage some from the 'ho-hum' category

I have been going back through some of my older photos and trying to resurrect some of them from the "ho-hum" bin. I've liked the subject matter in this one but the color version was just kind of unexciting. So, I've decided to start delving into the B&W world using Nik Silver Effects. This is what I came up with to at least make this semi-presentable. At least, I think it is semi-presentable?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Trying to salvage some from the 'ho-hum' category

I find that when trying to post-process oneself out of trouble, it usually requires a change of crop. Sticking with Robert Capa's advice; "If your image isn't good enough, you're not close enough", let me suggest concentrating purely on the wheels and connecting rod...

This gets rid of the less interesting areas of foreground and the boiler. Those areas are predominantly lighter tones, which tend to pull the viewer's eyes to those parts of the image. Eliminate the light areas, at the more interesting parts of the image become much more prominent.

By the way, in my view, the sepia tone is an effective approach for this type of "period" image.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 6th February 2018 at 12:37 AM.

Real Name
    mehere

I agree with the crop Manfred suggested though I might perhaps have done a slight skew on the horizontal rail at the bottom so that the crop could be done without losing the bottom sliver of the left hand wheel. I think a couple of other tidy ups are needed. There is a bright spot at the top of the right wheel which is grabbing my eye plus some highlights on the other side of the train which are also grabbing my eye. Once those are toned down it might be worthwhile doing a little dodging to bring up some of the highlights the wheel spokes and rim, just to give them more presence.

Conkerwood

Real Name
    John

Nice processing.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

An excellent work!!!

Not so much "Ho Hum" as "Hum Dinger!"

Real Name
    Dan

Good idea going with the conversion. I like it. Also think Manfred's got a good idea to try different crops. On this and other photos from the holding pen.

Real Name
    Brian

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will probably go back and fine tune it with some cropping and selective editing. When I see things like this when I'm out shooting, I almost see the finished product before I even pull the trigger. Anything from old buildings, to vehicles, to trains, I "see" in B&W. Weird how my brain works sometimes.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by BrianA61 View Post
    When I see things like this when I'm out shooting, I almost see the finished product before I even pull the trigger.
    Exactly! When I lift my eye to the camera, I already have a pretty good idea as to how I will handle the scene during capture and how I will handle it in PP. I find most of the experienced photographers I know say the same thing. Being able to create a strong image is the result of some deliberate and planned out actions along the way.

I remember someone asking me how they would know that they have hit their stride in photography, my answer was quite simple. I told her that can say something along the lines of "I took the image that I planned to" and to be able to do so consistently was the sign of being a "good photographer".

Quote Originally Posted by BrianA61 View Post
    I "see" in B&W. Weird how my brain works sometimes.
    Agreed. I don't take a lot of B&W images, but when I do, I have made that decision before I lift the camera to my eye and will compose the shot with B&W in mind.