Thread: Project 52 Q1 Week 6: Action portraiture

Real Name
    Bill

Project 52 Q1 Week 6: Action portraiture

For all sorts of reasons I was not able to get out and about with the camera this week** (or even do any studio shots) but was able to spend some evening hours re-visiting some recent library shots. This is one that intrigues me as it combines 2 of my favourite genres: portraits and "things that move" although the latter are usually BIF or motor bikes/cars.

This is a crop from a larger shot of a field of runners about 5 meters from the finish line of a 100 meter footrace. I found it difficult to decide on whether to capture the field or to concentrate on the personality of a few of the competitors.

** One of the reasons is the time that has had to be spent on getting ready for our visit to Western Australia, departing on Sunday. Ever the optimist, I hope that Week 7 will feature some new, Antipodean, images

Real Name
    John

Re: Project 52 Q1 Week 6: Action portraiture

I like the concept, if you were to isolate one figure and remove his environment you could concentrate solely on the universal recognition of expressions; is he smiling, grimacing, sad, etc.

Looks good to me. Picking out one or two main subjects from a crowd is never easy but in this case having other people gradually fading into the background puts everything into context and clearly shows this is a race.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I always find shots like this one very difficult to pull off as there are clearly two potential subjects here, which would make two separate, strong images.

I just find that the two runners are not close enough to make a single strong image and the viewer's eyes dart between the two runners out front.

Real Name
    Bill

Thanks for taking time to look at this and comment on it Manfred. Yes, there is too much separation between the 2 but I was trying to capture #66 overtaking #128 to win the race. However, I like your first alternative version best of all the ones I've tried.