Thread: A Bridge...... No, A Great Bridge, Built With Photographers in Mind.

Real Name
    mehere

A Bridge...... No, A Great Bridge, Built With Photographers in Mind.

This is the Bridge to Granville Island, Vancouver. I am a sucker for taking pics under bridges and the structure of this one is particularly interesting. I don't do that many monochrome pics though I am trying to improve my conversion skills. Any comments?

conkerwood

Real Name
    John

Re: A Bridge...... No, A Great Bridge, Built With Photographers in Mind.

Nice shot.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

This is a good solid conversion Mehere. The three issues that often detract in this type of images are that the underside of the bridge is hidden in too much shadow and that the verticals are not parallel. Also you have balanced the exposure of the areas under the bridge and the areas away from the bridge extremely effectively. The way you used the bridge to frame the buildings in the background is quite effective too.

You should be happy with the conversion, post processing and composition of this image.

Real Name
    Brian

It's a great shot but you are a little mistaken about where the bridge goes. The Granville street bridge goes over Granville Island and connects the West End to the rest of Vancouver.

Real Name
    Dan

A very good image, IMHO. My only question is what it would look like with a slightly less tight crop, particularly on the left.

Real Name
    Peter

Nice pic well rendered

Real Name
    Art

I like the photo a lot. I ride under this bridge almost every week and have never seen that particular view.

This is a familiar view to me - several times I have sat at the food area of Granville Island and looked up at the structure, examining what those above take for granted. Your image does this complex structure justice.

Very nice transition, mehere. I wonder whether the bridge has any clip-ons/ It looks like one to the left. This is when the original bridge cannot cope with the traffic and add ons are engineered to each side. This was done to the Auckland Harbour Bridge.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

very well converted

Real Name
    mehere

My thanks for the positive feedback, maybe I should do more of this monochrome stuff.
    Brian: My thanks for your info re the bridge. I was a tourist in Vancouver and obviously didn't have any real clue as where I was and what connected to what. Great place though I would love to go back
    Dan: You have picked up on the one thing that I would like to have had available, more space on the left. When I took the pic I left room but with correction of lens distortion and the need to correct verticals that space disappeared.
    Jim: I have been over the Aukland Bridge a couple of times, (I was a tourist again) but didn't look closely enough to notice the clip ons, partly because I was stupid enough to drive over in the rush hour and the traffic at the time was insane. Given the chance though I will get back to NZ, its a beautiful country and I would like to photograph the Aukland Bridge from underneath.

Again thanks to all.

conkerwood

Hi Mehere
    Here is one taken under the Auckland Harbour Bridge

[IMG]A Bridge...... No, A Great Bridge, Built With Photographers in Mind.[/IMG]

If I may add to this conversation on the Auckland Harbour Bridge - when I was young I used to sail under or around it as they were building the "Nippon Clip-on".

This first photo circa 1960, taken during the actual building of the original bridge, gives a good idea of the structural design and construction method.

This photo shows the current structure - both the framework of the bridge and the enclosed clip-on, supported on "wings" attached to each buttress.

As a bonus you get to see a traditional Maori Waka (canoe) being paddled under the bridge.
    Last edited by Tronhard; 13th February 2018 at 07:14 AM.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Second image is an awesome selection ; really well done. The lighting is superb!!!

A question arose as to whether the Granville Bridge (OP) had been extended. After doing some research I came up with these two archival photos from the BC Government

First the original bridge circa 1905 was much lower with a central rotating section to allow for traffic up False Creek.

The second image, circa 1959, shows the new bridge just after completion beside the original bridge before that was demolished. Note that the new bridge is much higher to allow uninterrupted marine traffic up False Creek.
    Last edited by Tronhard; 13th February 2018 at 06:10 PM.