Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Baby bump

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Baby bump

I did my first maternity shoot yesterday afternoon. One of the reasons I wanted to do this shoot was that the client wanted to have a "milk bath" scene in the shoot and having seen Annie Leibovitz's famous shot of Whoopi Goldberg, I was intrigued enough to want to try one.

1. High key look - natural light only

Baby bump

2. Milk bath - one bounced studio flash

Baby bump

By the way, we weren't using milk. The "milk" was a combination of commercial coffee whitener (Coffeemate brand), corn starch and baking soda. This provided a mix that was translucent for the top 1 - 2 cm / 1/2 - 1" before becoming quite opaque. Unless one is careful, the corn starch can be a bit lumpy; which is not desirable... The flower are "real" flowers, rather than silk or plastic ones. Real ones float, the artificial ones don't.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 13th February 2018 at 06:36 PM.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: Baby bump

I prefer both the lighting and colours in the first photograph. I am sure the client is delighted and I admire the bravery of both of you.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    I prefer both the lighting and colours in the first photograph. I am sure the client is delighted and I admire the bravery of both of you.
    Thanks Paul - this was an extreme case of the "client" knowing exactly what she wanted.

Some people seem to spend hours planning their own shoot and will come in with come with screen prints of shots they've gotten off the internet, a full set of costumes and props (live and artificial flowers, in this case). This mother-to-be had a very firm idea of what she wanted and the photographers were there to create those images for her.

Real Name
    Sandy

The results of your photos of her are lovely! I was thinking though that no one would have come close to me with a camera at that state! I'd have bitten their heads off! Well, maybe not that dramatic.....
    Definitely an adventure for both mom and you! Well done from this amateur photographer's point of view!

Real Name
    Ole

I prefer the first photo. I would prefer that the darker shade just behind the mother-to-be a tad lighter but not as light as the rest.
    Cheers Ole