Thread: Stormy Skies ~ A Study In Monochromatic Emotionalism (just so pretentious)

Real Name
    Brian

Stormy Skies ~ A Study In Monochromatic Emotionalism (just so pretentious)

ISO 100 ~ Shutter Speed 1/160s ~ F/16 ~ Natural Light ~ Sony Alpha a58 ~ Tamron 90mm 272E ~ Capture 1 Sony Pro v11

Re: Stormy Skies ~ A Study In Monochromatic Emotionalism (just so pretentious)

I'm not normally a B/W person but I like the drama of that.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by rachel View Post
    I'm not normally a B/W person but I like the drama of that.
    I have been dipping into B&W of late. There is a power that cannot be found in full colour.

You have to think a little bit differently when shooting for B&W.

This sky is good; but I wonder about cropping a fraction closer from the bottom and right side so all that dark foliage isn't competing so strongly against the sky?

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    You have to think a little bit differently when shooting for B&W.

This sky is good; but I wonder about cropping a fraction closer from the bottom and right side so all that dark foliage isn't competing so strongly against the sky?
    I'll give it a try.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    I have been dipping into B&W of late. There is a power that cannot be found in full colour.
    Sometimes B&W works better. Sometimes colour works better.

In B&W it's all about tonality and the separation of tonal values, but that being said, the image still has to work on an organizational and emotional impact level, just like a colour image.

From a technical standpoint, you have sacrificed details in the trees and leaves in order to get the textured sky, bu unfortunately it's not an either / or situation. You need to manage both well and in this shot, you were so busy working the sky, you seem to have forgotten about the trees and leaves.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

This is nice; but nicer ones you are sure to capture .....

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Sometimes B&W works better. Sometimes colour works better.

In B&W it's all about tonality and the separation of tonal values, but that being said, the image still has to work on an organizational and emotional impact level, just like a colour image.

From a technical standpoint, you have sacrificed details in the trees and leaves in order to get the textured sky, bu unfortunately it's not an either / or situation. You need to manage both well and in this shot, you were so busy working the sky, you seem to have forgotten about the trees and leaves.
    Forgotten? No. Paid enough attention? Apparently not.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post

ISO 100 ~ Shutter Speed 1/160s ~ F/16 ~ Natural Light ~ Sony Alpha a58 ~ Tamron 90mm 272E ~ Capture 1 Sony Pro v11
    I played around today and came up with this version. Comments? critiques?

Looks like a night scene now, with the moon just out of sight on the right side.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

The histogram suggests a significantly underexposed image now.

Real Name
    John

Nice effort.

Real Name
    Brian

Okay I have most assuredly lost the drama of the first shot. Instead of a humongous storm about to break I have a softly lit moonlit night. Fair enough

Manfred I started out with a nicely balanced latish afternoon shot that was well exposed. To come up with either a massive storm or a moonlit night the the exposure must go down. That is unless there is a technique that I'm not aware of and there may well be

This is very amazing photo!

Real Name
    Helly

Whenever I have a question about my studies, I always choose the same solution. I go directly to the site https://samplius.com/free-essay-examples/psychology/ as there are so many different examples there, which helps me to keep the bar high. So everyone who is looking for study and good grades, be sure to contact here.
    Last edited by Helly123; 28th September 2020 at 12:05 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Helly123 View Post
    Absolutely agree. And the angle, and the colors ... It's just gorgeous.
    Err, it is monochrome!