Thread: Hibiscus Mutation: From double blossomed salmon pink to single blossomed dark red

Real Name
    Brian

Hibiscus Mutation: From double blossomed salmon pink to single blossomed dark red

Hibiscus Mutation: From double blossomed salmon pink to single blossomed dark red

It is a single blossom on a new branch. Maybe I can grow a new bush?

SO 100 ~ Shutter Speed 1/4s ~ F/16 ~ Natural Light ~ Sony Alpha a58 ~ Tamron 90mm 272E

Real Name
    John

Re: Hibiscus Mutation: From double blossomed salmon pink to single blossomed dark red

I would use a tad amount of flash for this particular angle or try at another time of day.

Real Name
    Brian

Re: Hibiscus Mutation: From double blossomed salmon pink to single blossomed dark red

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I would use a tad amount of flash for this particular angle or try at another time of day.
    sadly these blossoms only last for 1 day. However, if another one grows...

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    sadly these blossoms only last for 1 day. However, if another one grows...
    Reminds me of my tulips attempts and also the importance of really working the scene. I know I am guilty of thinking I've taken the jewel of shots and never really working the camera to its full capabilities.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Reminds me of my tulips attempts and also the importance of really working the scene. I know I am guilty of thinking I've taken the jewel of shots and never really working the camera to its full capabilities.
    Exactly. I have a long way to go to max out the capabilities in my camera/lens or my software.

Real Name
    Brian

It is a single blossom on a new branch. Maybe I can grow a new bush?

SO 100 ~ Shutter Speed 1/4s ~ F/16 ~ Natural Light ~ Sony Alpha a58 ~ Tamron 90mm 272E
    Take 2

That is a problem scene, Brian. I like the brighter petals but now the background has some overly bright areas. Maybe I would try to brush in a little bit of highlight reduction around the flower tip. In this particular case I suspect you could use something like a Curves adjustment on a mask to selectively tone down those highlights a little without affecting the midtones in that tip.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Brian - the main issue with this image is that the light falls in the wrong place, behind your subject. Any global brightening is going to affect the lower part of the background far more than the flowers and will end up bring distracting. This shot would look a lot stronger if you could have found a way to light from behind the flower to emphasize the beautiful textures in the blossom itself.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Brian - the main issue with this image is that the light falls in the wrong place, behind your subject. Any global brightening is going to affect the lower part of the background far more than the flowers and will end up bring distracting. This shot would look a lot stronger if you could have found a way to light from behind the flower to emphasize the beautiful textures in the blossom itself.
    Manfred, I have no shortage of ego but even I at my most outrageous wouldn't assume that I could move the sun from its prescribed movement.

Nevertheless you're right the problem is that the sun is hitting the wrong place. I'll be having another pp attempt.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    That is a problem scene, Brian. I like the brighter petals but now the background has some overly bright areas. Maybe I would try to brush in a little bit of highlight reduction around the flower tip. In this particular case I suspect you could use something like a Curves adjustment on a mask to selectively tone down those highlights a little without affecting the midtones in that tip.
    I'll be working on it. This is definitely a pp skill improving shot. It being mid terms where M'Lady teaches means i have lots of time to work on it

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Manfred, I have no shortage of ego but even I at my most outrageous wouldn't assume that I could move the sun from its prescribed movement.

Nevertheless you're right the problem is that the sun is hitting the wrong place. I'll be having another pp attempt.
    Moving the sun, no, but an aptly placed reflector can do some interesting things with the light.

Real Name
    Brian

Moving the sun, no, but an aptly placed reflector can do some interesting things with the light.
    true enough but you know i work with minimalist equipment in natural light

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

true enough but you know i work with minimalist equipment in natural light
    I agree with the simple, but to paraphrase Albert Einstein; "Things should be as simple as possible; but not simpler".

Adding a small to medium piece of white cardboard or foam core into your kit when you photograph small things will get you stronger images, without sacrificing simplicity. I'm shooting some things right now and my reflector is a piece I cut out of a mat board that I have left over from some picture framing I just finished a couple of days ago. This is a lot easier and more fool proof than going to flash.

Real Name
    Brian

I agree with the simple, but to paraphrase Albert Einstein; "Things should be as simple as possible; but not simpler".

Adding a small to medium piece of white cardboard or foam core into your kit when you photograph small things will get you stronger images, without sacrificing simplicity. I'm shooting some things right now and my reflector is a piece I cut out of a mat board that I have left over from some picture framing I just finished a couple of days ago. This is a lot easier and more fool proof than going to flash.
    I'll look into it