Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Controlling camera remotely via Tablet

Real Name
    Andy

Controlling camera remotely via Tablet

Hi,

I have a physical disability that means I can't hold/control a camera in a conventional way. Currently I am using an android tablet with dslrcontroller loaded on to it wired to my Canon 60D, on an electric pan/tilt head. For the most part this works well.

Recently, I have wanted to upgrade my camera body. I was looking at the Nikon D810, as my sister uses this body and has several lenses for it. I have tried various options on the tablet, such as helicon remote, and other options of controlling the camera through my laptop, such as captureone and camera control 2. However, it is extremely slow and clunky, especially when focusing making it almost impossible to take photos effectively. I was wondering if you had any advice as to if there are better solutions, or if this is a Nikon problem and I should upgrade to another Canon body.

Any advice in terms of hardware or software would be really appreciated.

(I've attached an image of me with my current set up)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: Controlling camera remotely via Tablet

Andy, I'll be interested in whatever advice and comments you receive. I'm still able to handhold my Canon 60D but it can get heavy depending what lens is on it.

I wasn't aware that electric tripod heads existed. From your photo it appears that your tablet is hardwired to the camera?

Last year I acquired a point and shoot Panasonic which happened to have wifi capability, so I can control it from my iPad.

I've occasionally thought of upgrading from the 60D to the 7Dmkii but, for the type of shooting I do, I've never been sure it would be worth the expense.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Andy - I use the CamRanger remote for some of my work and it works with Apple, Android and Window products. I don't use the remote head, but they do make one. It's definitely a higher end product and I have had no issues at all when using it. Range is around 200ft. I do use it with my Nikon D810.

https://camranger.com/

Real Name
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Cantab View Post
    Andy, I'll be interested in whatever advice and comments you receive. I'm still able to handhold my Canon 60D but it can get heavy depending what lens is on it.

I wasn't aware that electric tripod heads existed. From your photo it appears that your tablet is hardwired to the camera?

Last year I acquired a point and shoot Panasonic which happened to have wifi capability, so I can control it from my iPad.

I've occasionally thought of upgrading from the 60D to the 7Dmkii but, for the type of shooting I do, I've never been sure it would be worth the expense.
    The camera is connected via usb, and a usb otg adapter to the tablet.

The electric pan tilt head has been awesome for me, it is slow but it means i have more control, and the monopod clamped to my wheelchair means i have a vertical range of between 20ish inches and 5ft5.

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Andy - I use the CamRanger remote for some of my work and it works with Apple, Android and Window products. I don't use the remote head, but they do make one. It's definitely a higher end product and I have had no issues at all when using it. Range is around 200ft. I do use it with my Nikon D810.

https://camranger.com/

Ahh, what do you use the camranger with in terms of android etc?
    How is it for focusing and is there much lag with the D810?

Real Name
    Andy

I have done a lot more tinkering, and tried a different d810, and... Qdslrdashboard seems to be working ok now! So that's good news, I'll update this thread once i use it more, but I am glad i persevered and reset/reinstalled a few things!

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by scoped View Post
    Ahh, what do you use the camranger with in terms of android etc?
    How is it for focusing and is there much lag with the D810?
    Camranger supplies an app for Android that I use either on my phone or tablet. I also have effectively the same app for my iPad. The response is quite fast and most of the camera functions work. I can use either the camera automation or I can switch to 100% manual; here the larger screen helps for focusing via a LiveView style functionality.

I know that there is a remote head, but I do not use it, so cannot comment.

Real Name
    Russell

I use both QDSLRDashboard and DSLRController along with a 6D and 70D. Both work well via USB or WiFi (in camera) and also the TP Link 3040 (if you can find nowadays) The TP Link 3040 is as far as I can see the same Wi-Fi router that Camranger use the only differance and again as far as I no is the software inside to run the system and a Logo on the front. The one draw back I have with the DSLRController option is that you have to slide the focus box to the point you wish and then tap to focus with QDSLRController you just tap the screen and the focus box moves to position. I also use Helicon Remote and never have any lag with software on a Galaxy Tab Note ll. Russ

Real Name
    James Edwards

Andy, you have already had the kind of input I could provide from the replies already posted. But it could be worth your while to contact the Disabled Photographers Society (If you are not aware of them!)

http://www.the-dps.co.uk/

They regularly have a stand at the Photography show, and I have heard 'good things' about them.

Real Name
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by russellsnr View Post
    I use both QDSLRDashboard and DSLRController along with a 6D and 70D. Both work well via USB or WiFi (in camera) and also the TP Link 3040 (if you can find nowadays) The TP Link 3040 is as far as I can see the same Wi-Fi router that Camranger use the only differance and again as far as I no is the software inside to run the system and a Logo on the front. The one draw back I have with the DSLRController option is that you have to slide the focus box to the point you wish and then tap to focus with QDSLRController you just tap the screen and the focus box moves to position. I also use Helicon Remote and never have any lag with software on a Galaxy Tab Note ll. Russ
    I've found that the live view seems to almost ghost on the helicon software.
    I've been changing some options so that image review is quicker on qdslrdashboard, mainly by setting it to raw+jpg basic and only reviewing the jpegs. Is there anything else i can do to speed up image review?

Quote Originally Posted by James G View Post
    Andy, you have already had the kind of input I could provide from the replies already posted. But it could be worth your while to contact the Disabled Photographers Society (If you are not aware of them!)

http://www.the-dps.co.uk/

They regularly have a stand at the Photography show, and I have heard 'good things' about them.
    I am a member, in fact the image of me above is at one of their events. They've been great, I as just looking to see if other people here had other experience with remote shooting

Real Name
    Bruce

Andy, a former member of Cambridge in Colour posted several threads about his use of equipment to remotely control a camera.

He did/does a lot of studio shooting. Here is one of his threads: My new photography toy .

This is a slightly earlier thread that may (or may not) be of interest: My Review of CamFi Wireless System