Thread: Removing Reflections From Glasses

Real Name
    Richard

Removing Reflections From Glasses

Reflections from eyeglasses are always a great problem when shooting portraits, especially informat portraits in which we don't have absolute control of the subject and lighting.

This Piximperfect YouTube video provides a neat way to eliminate or at least tone down those reflections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qv3...CGV2jFzbsO5u-6

BTW: He has a myriad of other Photoshop videos on YouTube. Quite often his explanations and tutorials click with my way of learning things...

Real Name
    John

Re: Removing Reflections From Glasses

Removing reflections from glasses is often covered in tutorials, know one ever tells where they learned the technique from or credits their tutor. I guess after using the method so much you begin to believe you developed the method.

Real Name
    Dan

Thanks for posting. I hadn't seen any of his video tutorials, but this one is impressive from a pedagogical point of view. E.g., when he is doing something important but incidental--for example, zooming with a shortcut--he shows you what the shortcut it. And he gave a clear and thorough explanation of his use of the saturation adjustments.

That looks like a great channel for whiling away a few hours, some good stuff there.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Thanks for posting Richard. While he suggests this is a "worst case" scenario for correction, I find he is exaggerating a bit. This is close to an ideal case because there is texture behind the glare. Most of the examples I have seen with reflections on eye glasses, the reflections are so bright that there is nothing underneath flare that can be corrected. His first method (shots with and without glasses without the subject moving their head) is the only way I know of correcting this issue, short of removing the lenses from the glasses before the shoot.