Thread: Daytime moon

Real Name
    les norman

Daytime moon

Daytime moon

Re: Daytime moon

Nice photo

As always counting the days for the full moon here and thinking about where I'm going to go to watch it rise/set and of course, just as it's due, the weather is set to turn and I probably won't see it
    Last edited by rachel; 25th February 2018 at 08:54 PM.

Real Name
    les norman

Hi Rachel just take one when its a clear night im getting better pictures when it isnt a full moon and when it isnt too dark

Yes, I agree, I like it when it's not too dark, but I also like it when it's near the horizon because it seems bigger, so that gives me just a couple of days per month.

For photos like yours, I think when it's not full is better because you actually see the texture and shape along the line between dark and light. I still find it amazing that it's possible to take photos like that of something so far away.

I'm in a new city now so looking for the best places / best foreground for the moon photos and this week will be my first attempt, if the sky is clear.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by rachel View Post
    Yes, I agree, I like it when it's not too dark, but I also like it when it's near the horizon because it seems bigger, so that gives me just a couple of days per month.

For photos like yours, I think when it's not full is better because you actually see the texture and shape along the line between dark and light. I still find it amazing that it's possible to take photos like that of something so far away.

I'm in a new city now so looking for the best places / best foreground for the moon photos and this week will be my first attempt, if the sky is clear.
    I looked at a moon position website and found that, where I live and for a particular time of day and for four successive days, the moon is visible within an arc (change of altitude) of about 30 degrees. Meaning that, standing on the same spot at the same time, there should be at least four moon-shot opportunities (if your weather changes as fast as ours does).

Here's the site URL:

http://www.heavens-above.com/main.aspx

It's not easy going, but it is possible to input the location data for a particular spot and to be able to change the date/time to see wassup moon-elevation-wise ...

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Nicely done

Real Name
    les norman

Well i wish you the best of luck Rachel and look forward to looking at your results

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    I looked at a moon position website and found that, where I live and for a particular time of day and for four successive days, the moon is visible within an arc (change of altitude) of about 30 degrees. Meaning that, standing on the same spot at the same time, there should be at least four moon-shot opportunities (if your weather changes as fast as ours does).

Here's the site URL:

http://www.heavens-above.com/main.aspx

It's not easy going, but it is possible to input the location data for a particular spot and to be able to change the date/time to see wassup moon-elevation-wise ...
    Thanks for this!

I use something similar, here http://www.largeformatphotography.info/sunmooncalc/

I find the best time to get it as it rises is a day or two before full moon. A day or two after as it sets. That way you're getting it in light skies which makes it easier to combine moon and surroundings in one photo. Of course that all depends on cloud cover.
    Will try tomorrow if skies are clear.