Thread: New Canon EOS M50

Real Name
    Russell

Re: New Canon EOS M50

They dropped the price of the EOS M5 very recently - by about 30% over here. Looking at the EOS M50, while it has many nice new features such as the improved screen, viewfinder (including sideways and rotational articulation), and a Digic 8 Processor, it seems to be aimed at a different market compared to the 5M - gone are is the exposure compensation dial for example... I would not be surprised if we shortly see a EOS M5mkII at some stage.

That they REALLY need to do is up their game on the EF-M lenses.

Real Name
    Dem

I am not sure who the target market is, but it is definitely not me.

“Upgrading from a smartphone camera to an entry-level interchangeable lens camera (ILC) can be considered to some people a daunting task,” Canon says.
    So that sounds like people who want to buy a "proper" camera just for the sake of it.

It's also plain ugly. I think it is going to go down like a lead balloon.

Real Name
    Robin

Big Headline - 4K

Small print - with an extra 1.6x crop and only 24p and no PDAF

They should be utterly ashamed and it deserves to flop big time - pathetic!!!!

While it has a resemblance to the M5 this is a somewhat down-spec'd camera. The M5 is equivalent to the 80D, but this mirrorless is for the consumer, something like the latest Rebel. Yep it has a digit 8 processor but and the other thing that I DO like is the articulated screen which rotates to the side and around as opposed to the rather silly one that rotates down. The big selling point seems to be the (cropped) 4k video, which I don't care about anyway as I don't shoot video.

I have the M5 because I need a body that is very small and light, has small and light lenses but can take on the normal EF lenses if necessary.

Real Name
    James Edwards

Not convinced yet either... I have the M5 which I primarily use for astrophotography, attached to a telescope, because it is light and no vibration on shutter release.

I found though that when I used it for wildlife or macro, there was a 'lag' when the EVF went dark while it took a shot. The lag is sufficient to prevent reliable tracking of subjects moving moderately fast.

At some point, maybe the Photography Show here in Birmingham next month?, I'll get my hands on it, and see if the shutter response has improved...... but I'm not really expecting it to.

In fairness, I gues it could make a good street photography camera.. but that is not really my thing!

I really don't know what is going on in the minds of the people in marketing at Canon. They seem to be searching for some concept on the development of their mirrorless line. First we have a series of cameras that come without a viewfinder built on (yep there are a couple you can fork out for a clip-on EV), and the numbering systems is beyond my understanding. Instead of numbering with say the best with the lowest number or the highest number, or even a number with a MK identifier, they seem to number cameras as they pop up. For example the M5 is, to me, the most sophisticated and arguably best M series yet because it works like a DSLR and has a built-in EV, plus manual controls. To me a viewfinder is critical if one is using telephoto lenses, using three points of contact to the camera for stability. The M6 and M10 are, to me, lesser cameras yet the numbering does not recognize that. Instead of generating M# cameras the should have had Mk# versions to show upgrades to the same configuration.

To me they should have a numbering system to match the DSLR system: so the 1M would be reserved for the top of the line camera(yet to appear), the M5 would be a FF model (yet to appear) and what is currently the M5 would have probably have been the M7, each progressing through a Mk1, MkII etc. that would make the line-up look like they had a plan in stead of randomly throwing.

Heaven knows what they are going to do with the ESO XXXD series (marketed as Rebels in North America), or the ##D as they are running out of number sequences.
    e.g. they cannot use the 1000D as that is the "el-cheapo" version of the consumer XXXD series, nor can they use the 100D for their enthusiast series as that is the already assigned to the very small DSLR series.

It's all very Hodge-podge and confusing, which is not a good marketing strategy...

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Tronhard View Post
    I really don't know what is going on in the minds of the people in marketing at Canon. It's all very Hodge-podge and confusing, which is not a good marketing strategy...
    The problem is that Mrs. Takenaka is at it again at Canon. Mrs. Takenaka is the lady that cleans the restrooms at the Canon Headquarters, she is also in charge of Canon R&D and Marketing.

She wanted the 6D Mark II to be named the 6D Takenaka in honor of her great contributions to what is missing in that camera.

Sadly, she didn't get her name on the M50 either...