Thread: Yarrow Valley Country Park

Real Name
    James

Yarrow Valley Country Park

Hi everyone,
    Hope you are all well,

Decided to have a couple of hours out walking around Yarrow Valley Country Park, a few days ago now,

Took the camera with me just in case the resident Kingfisher was about, if it was it certainly stayed well away from me,
    managed to get a few of the other birds that where knocking about though,

Apologies if any names are wrong, not familiar with different types of birds and their names, (need to do more research )

All the images were taken with

Canon 600d with 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS ii

After taking these images i came to the conclusion that i needed a lens with longer reach than the 55-250mm lens i had,

I was going to go with a used Sigma 50-500 f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM APO,

However while browsing a few sites to see what was on offer i came across a lens that was up for sale with one of the online retailers, i have used them in the past and found them to be quite good,

Needless to say i am now the proud owner of a used Canon EF 100-400MM f4.5-5.6L IS USM

just waiting on delivery which hopefully will be early next week (weather disruption allowing)

Can't wait to get it and try it out, never used one of the Canon L series lens before,

has anyone used this lens ? would love to hear your opinions on it,

Regards

#1 Mallard

#2 Canadian Goose

#3 Mute Swan

#4 Great Crested Grebe

#5 Little Gull

#6 Tufted Duck

Thanks for looking, please feel free to critique,

Real Name
    John

Re: Yarrow Valley Country Park

Nice series.

Real Name
    David

I like this serie, but I think it is a shame that the reflection of the mallard is cut off.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by JemC View Post
    Needless to say I am now the proud owner of a used Canon EF 100-400MM f4.5-5.6L IS USM
    just waiting on delivery which hopefully will be early next week (weather disruption allowing)

~

has anyone used this lens ? would love to hear your opinions on it
    Richard (rpcrowe) has one I'm sure.

C&C

Only a couple of thoughts on a generally 'good as can be expected at that FL' series;

#1, the crop, trimming the reflection at bottom edge caused me confusion at first.

#6 has the tufted duck swimming away from camera and out of frame, one to reshoot with a longer FL to get a better composition perhaps.

Good exposures throughout.

Cheers,
    Dave

PS
    Enjoy the new lens!

Real Name
    James

Quote Originally Posted by dnperfors View Post
    I like this serie, but I think it is a shame that the reflection of the mallard is cut off.
    Yes i have to agree on that, it was bad composition on my part, only spotted it after the shot was taken, by then the Mallard had left the log,

Thanks for comment,

Real Name
    James

Thanks for c&c

appreciate it,

Real Name
    Richard

I don't have the 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS lens. I have the Mark II version of the lens.

The original 100-400L Mark I is a very well respected lens for wildlife and was a standard tool for safari photography for many years. It will certainly give you more reach than your 55-250mm lens.

One caveat is to experiment with your new lens at various focal lenghs to determine the slowest shutter speed that you can use and still get sharp images. Do that before you go out and shoot anything really important.

A monopod might be a valuable addition to your kit and help you get sharper images at slower shutter speeds. Don't forget, when you have your lens cranked out to maximum focal length, you will be shooting at an equivalent 640mm.

If you do get a monopod, by all means leave your Image Stabilization selected. I am not sure, but it might be a good idea to turn off the IS if you are mounting your package on a tripod...

When I hand-hold my 100-400 Mk.II, I most often shoot at ISO 320 at the minimum (and quite often higher). Most cameras will provide decent image quality at that ISO and it will help boost your shutter speed into a usable range. However, if push comes to shove, I'd rather have a sharp image with some noise than a noise-free image that is not sharp due to camera shake.

Real Name
    roy

James I've usually found the Kingfisher and the Heron near the weir when they've been about. I have also seen the Kingfisher on the small pond behind the cafe
    Roy
    Last edited by Rent; 5th March 2018 at 04:56 PM.

Real Name
    James

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I don't have the 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS lens. I have the Mark II version of the lens.

The original 100-400L Mark I is a very well respected lens for wildlife and was a standard tool for safari photography for many years. It will certainly give you more reach than your 55-250mm lens.

One caveat is to experiment with your new lens at various focal lenghs to determine the slowest shutter speed that you can use and still get sharp images. Do that before you go out and shoot anything really important.

A monopod might be a valuable addition to your kit and help you get sharper images at slower shutter speeds. Don't forget, when you have your lens cranked out to maximum focal length, you will be shooting at an equivalent 640mm.

If you do get a monopod, by all means leave your Image Stabilization selected. I am not sure, but it might be a good idea to turn off the IS if you are mounting your package on a tripod...

When I hand-hold my 100-400 Mk.II, I most often shoot at ISO 320 at the minimum (and quite often higher). Most cameras will provide decent image quality at that ISO and it will help boost your shutter speed into a usable range. However, if push comes to shove, I'd rather have a sharp image with some noise than a noise-free image that is not sharp due to camera shake.
    Hi Richard

Thanks for the information,
    I will certainly be having a few trial runs with it trying different settings as you mention and also to get used to the push/pull system(not used that before)

A monopod is certainly on the to get list, i do have a tripod, whether it is upto the job or not will be evaluated as well,
    i was thinking of getting a gimbal head for the tripod as also,

will try out the settings you mention as well,

Appreciate your input,
    Thanks

Real Name
    James

Quote Originally Posted by Rent View Post
    James I've usually found the Kingfisher and the Heron near the weir when they've been about. I have also seen the Kingfisher on the small pond behind the cafe
    Roy
    Hi Roy

Thanks for the info,
    in all the time i have been there, never seen the Heron, will certainly keep my eye out for it,
    never thought of looking around the small pond, but will be down there again this weekend so will make sure i have a wander there,

Regards
    James

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Lovely images of lovely creatures