Thread: Macro with reversed lens

Real Name
    Richard

Macro with reversed lens

Please check if my reasoning is correct.

One problem with using lenses designed for SLR and DSLR cameras with a reversing ring is to be able to control the Iris so you can view and focus wide open and then stop down to shoot. Modern SLR and DSLR lenses have an automatic iris that allows the photographer to do just that - when the lens is mounted on the appropriate camera

However, once the lens is removed from the camera the iris is wide open. There are several fixes to control the problem but, they are a big PITA. What would be nice, for shooting in a reversed lens mode, is a lens that allows the iris to be controlled manually = on or off the camera

Why not use a 35mm film rangefinder camera lens with a reverse adapter. Since the photographer is not viewing the image through the lens of a rangefinder camera, that lens doesn't need to open and close automatically. There are also many rangefinder lenses that are available dirt cheap. The only caveat as I see it, is to get a lens with a filter thread at the front that would fit an available reversing ring

Here is an example of some rangefinder lenses available at quite low prices...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jupiter-8-5...gAAOSwrdhalGxn

However, a person would need to ensure thet the lens has filter threads at the front

Real Name
    George

Re: Macro with reversed lens

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post

One problem with using lenses designed for SLR and DSLR cameras with a reversing ring is to be able to control the Iris so you can view and focus wide open and then stop down to shoot. Modern SLR and DSLR lenses have an automatic iris that allows the photographer to do just that - when the lens is mounted on the appropriate camera

However, once the lens is removed from the camera the iris is wide open. There are several fixes to control the problem but, they are a big PITA. What would be nice, for shooting in a reversed lens mode, is a lens that allows the iris to be controlled manually = on or off the camera

Why not use a 35mm film rangefinder camera lens with a reverse adapter. Since the photographer is not viewing the image through the lens of a rangefinder camera, that lens doesn't need to open and close automatically. There are also many rangefinder lenses that are available dirt cheap. The only caveat as I see it, is to get a lens with a filter thread at the front that would fit an available reversing ring

Here is an example of some rangefinder lenses available at quite low prices...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jupiter-8-5...gAAOSwrdhalGxn

However, a person would need to ensure thet the lens has filter threads at the front
    I don't know about Canon but with Nikon the aperture is closed when off camera. When mounted on the camera it's open.
    A popular lens for a reverse ring is the 50 1.8D, a cheap lens with aperture ring. Nikon off course

George

Real Name
    John

Richard,

I have an old Alpa lens that allow you to adjust the aperture manually, it has a pin on the inside collar.

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/alpa/al...lpa_si2000.htm

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    I don't know about Canon but with Nikon the aperture is closed when off camera. When mounted on the camera it's open.
    A popular lens for a reverse ring is the 50 1.8D, a cheap lens with aperture ring. Nikon off course

George
    Good suggestion. I checked some of my Sigma "electric" lenses - all are wide open off the camera. I've got a pre-1971 Asahi Pentax Super-Takumar 28mm coming soon; I'll look at it too, if I remember.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post

I just read this again: am I right in thinking that you want to control the aperture of the reversed lens?

Only time I've tried the reversed lens mode, rightly or wrongly, the reversed lens simply acted like a fancy close-up filter and remained wide-open at all times.

Real Name
    Rudi

Many years ago, my macro journey started with reversed lenses. As reversed lens, I used the 'older' manual focus Nikkors 20mm to 55mm Pre AI-AI or AIS. All had 52 mm filter threads, which makes swapping easy.
    Those are very good quality lenses IMHO, and can be found easily on e-Bay. I still have a few, which I dusted off some time ago and I intend to use those on a bellows for a more permanent 'studio setup'.

With reversed lenses, your camera can not communicate with the lens, so no autofocus and manual aperture. The latter can be a bit challenging as fe at f8 you will get a very dark viewfinder. With manual lenses ,for a still object, one can focus at fe f2,8 and shoot at fe f8.
    A reversed 50 mm will give you abt 1x magnification; a reversed 20 mm will give you a bit more than 3x magnification.

Stacking a reversed lens to a normal lens is also a possibility.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by rudi View Post
    Many years ago, my macro journey started with reversed lenses. As reversed lens, I used the 'older' manual focus Nikkors 20mm to 55mm Pre AI-AI or AIS. All had 52 mm filter threads, which makes swapping easy.
    Those are very good quality lenses IMHO, and can be found easily on e-Bay. I still have a few, which I dusted off some time ago and I intend to use those on a bellows for a more permanent 'studio setup'.

With reversed lenses, your camera can not communicate with the lens, so no autofocus and manual aperture. The latter can be a bit challenging as fe at f8 you will get a very dark viewfinder. With manual lenses ,for a still object, one can focus at fe f2,8 and shoot at fe f8.
    A reversed 50 mm will give you abt 1x magnification; a reversed 20 mm will give you a bit more than 3x magnification.

Stacking a reversed lens to a normal lens is also a possibility.
    It's not clear to me whether the conventional method is to put the "reversed" lens a) onto the camera mount or b) onto the camera lens with an adapter.

Seems like Richard wants to put the reversed lens on the camera.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 5th March 2018 at 12:06 AM.

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    I just read this again: am I right in thinking that you want to control the aperture of the reversed lens?

Only time I've tried the reversed lens mode, rightly or wrongly, the reversed lens simply acted like a fancy close-up filter and remained wide-open at all times.
    You probably had a manual lens with aperture ring. See the post of Rudi.

George

Real Name
    Rudi

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    It's not clear to me whether the conventional method is to put the "reversed" lens a) onto the camera mount or b) onto the camera lens with an adapter.

If b) why does the reversed lens aperture need to controlled?
    Both methods can be used.
    You can put a reversed lens direct to the camerabody by using a normal "reversing ring" , or
    you can put a lens to the camerabody the normal way and reverse a lens to that by using a "coupling ring"
    (Coupled reversed lenses or stacked lenses).

With stacked lenses, there is no general consensus (AFAIK) what is best method, to control the aperture on then 'normal' lens or on the 'reversed lens'.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    You probably had a manual lens with aperture ring. See the post of Rudi.

George
    Yes, digital 70mm macro on the camera, legacy 28mm on the 70mm, aperture on the 28mm left wide open. Good guess.

Already read Rudi's posts, thank you.

Real Name
    Richard

I have a very decent Canon 100mm f/2.8 (non-L) Macro Lens and an extension tube. I just wanted to play with the reversed lens and noticed how inexpensive the Russian Jupiters were.

Another inexpensive high magnification setup would be an enlarger lens on a bellows. Since the iris on the enlarger lens can be manually stopped down, I would not need a bellows with an electrical connection to the camera. I normally focus manually for my macro shooting also...

Bellows of the type I am considering run about $30-35 U.S. Dollars while I can get a used El-Nikkor lens for under twenty USD. I have been advised that even with an enlarger lens on a bellows, it is bet to reverse the lens. However, if I do go that route, I will play with the lens in the standard position first.

This is just something to play with at home, since with my rescue dog commitments, I don't get to go out and shoot a much a I would like to...

Real Name
    Dan

Another inexpensive high magnification setup would be an enlarger lens on a bellows.
    You have a macro lens. Why not just put that on a bellows? For that matter, with a 100mm lens, unless you want to go above 2:1, you can just use tubes.