Thread: Snow bound

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Snow bound

One of those spur of the moment shots. I have tried this shot several times during snow storms. This one is the best to date. However opinions from others welcome

Wanted to go out this weekend, even for me it would have been idiotic to try the back roads in a blizzard. A fairly high certainty of a bad outcome. This was the only option.

Snow bound

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Snow bound

Works wonderfully, I think. Can't really think of anything else, other than are you thinking of making a Christmas card of it. If so, I'll place an order.

Many people get insulted when you tell them to think of making a card of an image. It's meant to be fine art - hanging on a wall. So, sorry if I have offended you.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Works wonderfully, I think. Can't really think of anything else, other than are you thinking of making a Christmas card of it. If so, I'll place an order.

Many people get insulted when you tell them to think of making a card of an image. It's meant to be fine art - hanging on a wall. So, sorry if I have offended you.
    Absolutely no offence taken Any pretensions to fine art I might have are probably more aspirations than reality.
    i have decided I have not advanced in art much beyond being like a small child finding a pretty rock or shell and wanting to share it with the world

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Trevor - in spite of shooting snowscapes fairly often, I have yet to find a "formula" that gives me consistent results. There are just too many variables when it is snowing out, so I tend to try different things, bracket, etc. while shooting and hope for the best in post. This shot works; what more can one say?

Real Name
    Kay

It s lovely Trevor & the aspect ratio/crop is really interesting & not what I would imagine.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Trevor - in spite of shooting snowscapes fairly often, I have yet to find a "formula" that gives me consistent results. There are just too many variables when it is snowing out, so I tend to try different things, bracket, etc. while shooting and hope for the best in post. This shot works; what more can one say?
    I think this worked because the snow was falling as large flakes and fairly slowly. Quite heavy, enough space between flakes to remain as individual spots and enough to effectively smear/blur the background trees; so the trees are defined with sharp edges but not overpowering as elements.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    I think this worked because the snow was falling as large flakes and fairly slowly. Quite heavy, enough space between flakes to remain as individual spots and enough to effectively smear/blur the background trees; so the trees are defined with sharp edges but not overpowering as elements.
    Agreed - I think you got a nice balance between the falling snowflakes and the trees in the background and everything seems to be working together quite nicely.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    It s lovely Trevor & the aspect ratio/crop is really interesting & not what I would imagine.
    Wanted to retain the verticality and crop out the ancillary bits.

Good thing you mentioned this I went back to check the crop. Once again in mucking about with the image managed to blow out the highlights, this time on the aspen trees. I have corrected that, so I thank you for making me go back and check the image

Real Name
    James

I think that works really well,

My 1st thought when i saw it was "that would make a wonderful Christmas card"

Real Name
    John

Looks like a painting, don't hate me.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I know; and the more I look at it, the more like a painting it seems. Maybe i should see if someone can print it on velvet to complete my journey to the dark side.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Something much special about this!!!

I agree with what the others have said. This is a lovely image, you have captured the scene very well.

Real Name
    Sandy

Trevor - this is a beautiful winter snow scene. Funny that I should see your post today since this morning I was watching the dismal snow we had falling thinking that surely there had to be a way to capture a lovely snow scene.

Well, you've done it!

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by skitterbug View Post
    Trevor - this is a beautiful winter snow scene. Funny that I should see your post today since this morning I was watching the dismal snow we had falling thinking that surely there had to be a way to capture a lovely snow scene.

Well, you've done it!
    At this point I am willing to forego my expertise in shooting snow for a respite. We got snow on October 10 which is still present, winter is now wearing a bit thin. At least four more weeks until any hope of spring.

I was talking today to a photographer friend. We both have our lowest number of shots taken in March and April because by then we have exhausted not only the genre of winter but any desire to shoot in the cold.

Real Name
    Zen

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Plus 1!

Thanks for sharing.

Zen