Thread: Colour vs Monochrome

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Colour vs Monochrome

I had an interesting discussion with another CiC member recently regarding the merits of B&W versus colour. I thought I would start a discussion here with three examples where I have done a B&W and colour version of three different photographic genres; landscape (including traditional landscapes, seascapes and urban landscapes), people (portraiture and street photography) and architecture (interior and exterior). The reason I selected those three is that these are ones that many people feel work well in B&W as well as colour. Things are not as straight forward in some of the other photographic genres.

While I started out as a B&W photographer; I shot virtually nothing else during my first two years of "serious photography". Now I would suggest that less than 5% of my shots end up being in colour. I usually make my decisions on B&W versus colour before I take the shot, as I will compose the shots differently.

My other view is that images generally work better in either B&W or colour, but rarely does an image work equally well in both. In my postings, I will show one if each of these scenarios and explain why I can to that conclusion while describing and discussing the image.

I'd like to challenge other members to do the same. Post a well processed B&W and colour image and explain which one you like better and why.

1. Erratic Rocks - B&W

Colour vs Monochrome

2. Erratic Rocks - Colour

Colour vs Monochrome

Erratic Rocks - Analysis: In this series, I prefer the B&W version over the colour version simply because of the way that the conversion simplifies the scene. The warm toned rocks sitting in the cool toned water clash and removing the colour is a great equalizer here.

3. Boy celebrating Holi - B&W

Colour vs Monochrome

4. Boy celebrating Holi - Colour

Colour vs Monochrome

Boy celebrating Holi - Analysis Here I definitely prefer the colour version over the B&W. The essence and spirit of Holi, the Hindu Festival of Colours, are lost in the monochrome version. Sometimes going B&W removes too much of material that is relevant to the image.

5. Skyline - B&W

Colour vs Monochrome

6. Skyline - Colour

Colour vs Monochrome

Skyline - Analysis: With these two images, I have no clear preference. I like the way the blue late winter sky complements the blue and green glass of the modern architecture, but the B&W works well to as it emphasizes the sky more and downplays the impact of the modern buildings.

I did take this shot with a colour image in mind, because the colour scheme caught my eye.

Your turn now - let's see some image in both B&W and colour with an explanation as to why you prefer one over the other.

Real Name
    John

Re: Colour vs Monochrome: Trio

Colour vs MonochromeTrio Color by JOHN, on Flickr

Colour vs MonochromeTrio B & W by JOHN, on Flickr

I typically like color images but for this composition I prefer the B & W image, I spent some time on the processing and for the final look I applied a low-key filter to make it all about light and dark.

Real Name
    James Edwards

Re: Colour vs Monochrome

I took this shot a couple of weeks ago. It is one of more than a hundred identical statues created by a British artist , Anthony Gormley, which have been placed along the beach, into the tidal reach of the River Mersey (Blundellsands, Liverpool,UK). Some of statues are covered by the incoming tide and all are placed facing 'west' at different depths into the sand. The installation is titled 'Another Place'. I have photographed it may times over the last 10 years or so, and have never been really 'satisfied' with my efforts. This last shoot though is decidedly the 'best' so far, when a combination of the 'Golden Hour' and an unlikely classic sunset developed.

The capture was 'visualised' as a colour shot, precisely because of the clear sky and evening sun on the weathered statue.

However, I reprocessed for monchrome, because, much as Manfred indicated for one of his images, after a rethink having created the colour version, monochrome seems to simplify the scene and increase focus on the sculpture, giving it much more presence.

Colour vs Monochrome

Colour vs Monochrome
    Last edited by James G; 7th March 2018 at 10:45 AM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Just to throw in my views:

John - I find that the colour works better than the B&W because the skater stands out more in the colour image. You have predominantly cool tones; blue, white and grey in the image. The skin tones of the skater stand out in the colour. That is lost in the B&W version.

James - I agree with your view. The statue stands our more in the monochrome version. The warm tones of the middle ground and the hills distract from the subject. The sky is almost featureless and white the colours between the statue / background and sky are complementary (blue / yellow), these conflicts go away when the colours are removed.

Real Name
    Tom

I agree with you James that the B&W is more effective. But, for me, it is more effective because it is not instantly obvious in B&W that the statue is not a real human.

Real Name
    Bo or Barbara - I'll answer to both!

I have just returned from a BIg Trip Down Under and been processing too many shots to mention. There are very few in mono & curiously the theme seems to be "Girls in Fountains"
    [IMG]Colour vs MonochromeIMG_0100 by Barbara Bett, on Flickr[/IMG]

Ha! Couldn't bring myself to totally mono this. It's practically mono but whoever heard of little girls in grey dresses!

[IMG]Colour vs MonochromeIMG_0109 mono by Barbara Bett, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]Colour vs MonochromeIMG_0109 by Barbara Bett, on Flickr[/IMG]

The photo is the same, just slightly cropped differently. Actually I first processed it in B&W and took forever getting rid of a seagull flying through all those stripes, couldn't face doing it again in colour.

In both of these examples I think what attracted me to them was the contrast in light and dark, shapes and textures. And that leads to my favourite word "Impact" .- as I mentioned on the Hibiscus thread earlier.

My preference in this second set is the B&W version as it perhaps emphasises this contrast more.

Interested to hear others' POV.

I like all of them and I find it interesting that in all of these the colour "palette" is fairly limited - in a good way - in any case. Even the Holi one is limited to red/pink/gold.

I have a firm bias in favour of colour but I admit i (usually) prefer these kind of colour photos, where there's not a huge range of multicolours - other than where the riot of colour is the main feature of a photo.

Real Name
    Richard

Although I do like the shot of this older lady from Istanbul in color...
    Colour vs Monochrome

Somehow, it seems more appropriate in monochrome, giving it an ageless appearance.
    Colour vs Monochrome

One thing that I noticed when framing an image using NIK software; the frame intrudes upon the image rather than occupying an area outside the image. In this monochrome example, the back of the lady is too close to the edge of the frame due to the frame occupying a portion of the image. That is definitely something that I will need to be aware of in any future use of NIK frames...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 7th March 2018 at 06:00 PM.

Real Name
    Bo or Barbara - I'll answer to both!

Agreed Richard her clothes look more united in monochrome and the sepia finish is a great touch

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Although I do like the shot of this older lady from Istanbul in color...
    Colour vs Monochrome

Somehow, it seems more appropriate in monochrome, giving it an ageless appearance.
    Colour vs Monochrome

One thing that I noticed when framing an image using NIK software; the frame intrudes upon the image rather than occupying an area outside the image. In this monochrome example, the back of the lady is too close to the edge of the frame due to the frame occupying a portion of the image. That is definitely something that I will need to be aware of in any future use of NIK frames...
    Richard,

You can size the frame so that it doesn't intrude too far, but if part of the purpose of the frame is for signing then you might be better off using Photoshop or Elements to create the frame so you can do a custom frame.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Just to throw in my views:

John - I find that the colour works better than the B&W because the skater stands out more in the colour image. You have predominantly cool tones; blue, white and grey in the image. The skin tones of the skater stand out in the colour. That is lost in the B&W version.

James - I agree with your view. The statue stands our more in the monochrome version. The warm tones of the middle ground and the hills distract from the subject. The sky is almost featureless and white the colours between the statue / background and sky are complementary (blue / yellow), these conflicts go away when the colours are removed.
    Manfred,

I initially used different color filters which did a good job of separating the tones but I wanted more dramatic tones and applied a low-key final filter. This particular processing was done specifically to emphasize the shadows. Thanks for the critique.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Took this spring of last year. I prefer the monchrome: the structure of the trestle and texture of the grass, old wood and river bed become the dominant elements. Which I find the most interesting aspects. Whereas the colour version mutes and subsumes these aspects.

Just to point out how much personal taste determines this; my wife prefers the colour. Because she finds the colour variation in the weathered trestle the interesting bit.

Colour vs Monochrome

Colour vs Monochrome

Real Name
    Brian

How could I resist.

Colour vs Monochrome

Colour vs Monochrome

Personally I find both versions to be enjoyable in their own ways

Real Name
    Ted

Those seriously interested in color-to-grayscale conversion might find the following link interesting:

http://cadik.posvete.cz/color_to_gray_evaluation/

It shows a large number of different types of color images. Then, for each image it applies seven (!) different conversion methods and then polls a number ** of viewers as to how accurately each conversion method represents the original image or scene. That is a hell of a lot of work, but it is quite well-presented.

** way more than CIE 1931 2-degree observers !!

The bottom line being that no single method is good for all types of color image (surprise).
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 8th March 2018 at 03:33 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    That is a hell of a lot of work, but it is quite well-presented.
    In other words, tastes vary. Not a great surprise there.

The one question that I don't see answered is the demographic makeup of the 2000 subjects and whether it is representative of the global population or if it is it skewed to a sub-group of the general population? In the past when I this type of research, one of the first things I would ask for is a breakdown of the demographic group that the product was being designed for; for example, a product designed for professional basketball players or sumo wrestlers would likely be different than one designed for the general population.

Real Name
    Terri

Manfred, your examples are really good. I picked my favorite of each before reading your explanations and I agreed with you on all 3 of them. In addition, in example 1 the B&W version shows much more contrast which I like, although that might be a result of processing rather than color vs B&W.