Thread: Tornado on NYMR

Real Name
    Peter

Tornado on NYMR

I had booked tickets to run on Tornado for a surprise Birthday Present for the Bride. Unfortunately due to weather conditions the first weekend journeys (3rd & 4th March) were cancelled. I rescheduled for Thursday 8th March only to be thwarted once again by the weather, we just couldn't get to Grosmont in the car due to a relatively short snow storm that caused havoc on the roads. It just wasn't safe to be out and about in a vehicle during the storm.
    Yesterday the weather was great with a strange light in the sky. But we still were driving in low cloud on the road down in to Goathland. You can see the fog/low cloud at the right hand side of the image.

This is the Tornado (built in 2008 at Darlington UK) on it's first run of the morning heading for Pickering.

As always your thoughts and comments are welcome.

#1 my original image posted in this thread.

Tornado on NYMR

#2 Same train, same place, different capture. I do prefer this one as it shows more of the carriages and the exhaust is being blown away from the engine. This one is cropped from the bottom edge to remove a photographer who was standing against the wall you see in #1.

Tornado on NYMR
    Last edited by ST1; 19th March 2018 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Additional image added.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Re: Tornado on NYMR

Excellent image; lovely colours

Real Name
    Richard

Nicely captured...

Real Name
    John

Nicely captured.

Real Name
    Chris

I love the old steam engines and wish there was one close enough for me to shoot. I think the above comments are well in order but just for grins and giggles, I played a "what if" scenario and brightened up the train while dimming down the foreground colors to make the train stand out more as the focal point...

As with any edit, it is just another thought to be accepted, rejected or, as I often do, given the old ho-hum, let me give that some thought. Cheers!

Tornado on NYMR

Real Name
    Peter

Tornado on NYMR

Thanks gents for taking time to look and comment. Should you like a little more steam train nostalgia I’ve uploaded three short videos made by the current Mrs S, I’ve not edited them so the sound track is what the bride captured with her phone. One is of this engine and two others are of the Flying Scotsman on the same line in 2016.

http://www.peterstockton-photography...m-Train-Video/

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by ccphoto View Post
    I love the old steam engines and wish there was one close enough for me to shoot. I think the above comments are well in order but just for grins and giggles, I played a "what if" scenario and brightened up the train while dimming down the foreground colors to make the train stand out more as the focal point...

As with any edit, it is just another thought to be accepted, rejected or, as I often do, given the old ho-hum, let me give that some thought. Cheers!
    Thanks for the thoughts on a different edit Chris, I like your grins and giggles it does work thank you.

Real Name
    Ian

Peter,

Almost in the style of Cuneo 'On the Lickey' although that was a painting!

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    Peter,

Almost in the style of Cuneo 'On the Lickey' although that was a painting!
    Thanks Ian for taking time to look and comment. I had to resort to a search engine for the painting, interestingly the painting sold for £73k and you can now purchase a print from a well known online site for £30 ish.

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Philip

A great shot of the train, Peter. If it were mine I would crop 16:9 to just above the loco exhaust cloud, to remove the strip of dark blue sky at top left which I find distracting. Just another opinion but that improves the composition for me.

Cheers.
    Philip

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    A great shot of the train, Peter. If it were mine I would crop 16:9 to just above the loco exhaust cloud, to remove the strip of dark blue sky at top left which I find distracting. Just another opinion but that improves the composition for me.

Cheers.
    Philip
    Thanks for looking and commentating Philip, I was when processing the image concerned about the dark sky you mention. But in the finish I left it in. With hindsight I maybe should have desaturated it a bit, or as you suggest a crop to remove it.

I've added an additional image from the day as #2 in my initial post of the thread.