Thread: Smartphone cameras (Computational Photography???)

Real Name
    Antonio Luz

Smartphone cameras (Computational Photography???)

Thanks to advanced images processing, smartphones are taking the place of compact cameras. Although I prefer using cameras, I think that in a few years most of compact cameras will be replaced by smartphone cameras. The only exceptions that I can see are the specialized compact cameras (superzooms, travelzooms and subaquatic cameras).
    I think that, because of the much larger sensors, much better optics and ergonomy, DSLRs and mirrorless cameras won't be replaced by smartphone cameras.

For example, introduced in March 2016, the Samsung S7 is not the latest top line smartphone, but takes good photos and has HDR and RAW capabilities (not simultaneously). Other interesting feature is the "selective focus" that emulates a bokeh effect (that is impossible to get with so small sensor). The Samsung S7 edge has a f/1.7 - 26mm (FFE) prime lens.
    There are various other brands and models with similar features.

#1- Without HDR

#2- With HDR (it looks much more like what my eyes see)

#3- Without bokeh

#4- With bokeh
    Last edited by Panama Hat & Camera; 18th March 2018 at 09:45 PM.

Real Name
    John

Re: Smartphone cameras (Computational Photography???)

Nice series, one thing I've seen crop up regarding smartphone photography is a growing abundance of accessories (lens attachments, printing services, etc.) to enhance the photography experience. I think there will eventually spring up a debate between what is actually needed to capture a quality smartphone image.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Panama Hat & Camera View Post
    I think that in a few years most of compact cameras will be replaced by smartphone cameras.
    I'm sorry to say that that has already happened. Point & Shoot cameras have been pretty well replaced by SmartPhones already and that has been the case for at least the past 2 or 3 years. The major camera manufacturers sell very few of these devices any more. Nikon announced it would be closing down it's factory in China that made these cameras this year.

My prediction is that this technology will migrate into higher end cameras. I recently read an article where Nikon engineers said as much. They are looking at using technology to overcome diffraction limit issues with cameras. With Sony's roadmap showing the introduction of 100MP and 150MP sensors for medium format cameras, a 100 MP sensor for full-frame cameras is not that far away.

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/03/09/i...x/#more-120562

That being said, some manufactureres (Olympus, Panasonic and likely Sony) have been applying profile corrections to their lenses and cameras for at least 4 or 5 years. This isn't just for JPEG files, but also is applied to raw data. When I open one of these raw files in Photoshop, I get a message that these corrections have already been applied. I have seen some of the uncorrected raw data and the level of correction is quite significant, i.e. the images can be at the verge of being unusable without these corrections.

Real Name
    Antonio Luz

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nice series, one thing I've seen crop up regarding smartphone photography is a growing abundance of accessories (lens attachments, printing services, etc.) to enhance the photography experience. I think there will eventually spring up a debate between what is actually needed to capture a quality smartphone image.
    John,
    I have two good lenses (from Samsung), a good tripod (from Joby) and a LED light that don't work well (from Xuma).
    The lenses are a 2x telephoto lens and a 110° wide-angle Lens.
    The #3 and #4 pictures were taken with the telephoto lens.
    Cheers,
    Antonio.
    Last edited by Panama Hat & Camera; 18th March 2018 at 10:23 PM.

Real Name
    John

John,
    I have two good lenses (from Samsung), a good tripod (from Joby) and a LED light that don't work well (from Xuma).
    Cheers,
    Antonio.
    Antonio,

I've never really embraced the smartphone as a source of communication, I get by with a Tracfone so haven't had a chance to explore the smartphone's photography capability. I used to carry a P & S and still have one but rarely even bother to charge it, had a micro 4/3rds as a replacement and I might end up getting another one for quick access, tight environment (street fairs) shooting, but I might also consider a smartphone as they no longer have the contract stipulation associated with owning one.

Real Name
    John

New editing software designed for smartphones and tablets, removes backgrounds, optimizes, enlarges images.

https://www.inpixio.com/

Real Name
    Richard

When and if (not at all likely in my estimation) smart phones come equipped with an eye level viewfinder; I "MIGHT THINK" of using my cellphone for other than emergency still shots.

I would rather shoot with a Canon 350D, which I hated, than the very best Sony, Nikon or Canon DSLR if those cameras did not have a an eye level viewfinder.

In fact, my feelings about this are so strong that, if I was forced to shoot with an LCD only equipped camera, I would simply quit photography.

As a Southern Californian, I almost always have my car nearby. I have been carrying my Canon 40D camera with a 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS in my car. I keep it in a small Styrofoam container (in which some dog medications were shipped) within an insulated lunch bag. Between those two insulators, the camera never gets too hot in normal days. However, I remove the camera on some 100 degree plus days in the Summer.

The camera and lens are a viable combination and I almost always will have a camera with me.

When I am traveling (on a non-photo oriented trip) I will often carry my little SX-50HS bridge camera.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 19th March 2018 at 05:27 PM.

Real Name
    Dem

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    I recently read an article where Nikon engineers said as much. They are looking at using technology to overcome diffraction limit issues with cameras...
    Reading this article, I think Nikon will have quite a lot of catching up to do. Take Fuji, for example. They have been using lens modulation optimisation for about 4 years, have been selling medium format mirrorless cameras for over a year now and got IBIS in their recent X-H1. And what about Nikon? March 2018 they have got similar items on their to do list. I wondered if the article was a few years old. Nope, March 2018.

Real Name
    Robin

I embraced iPhoneography years ago and now use it daily alongside my Fuji kit as a serious capture tool. The various compact cameras I have in the house have sat around unused (by me) for ages as other than their zoom range they offer nothing my phone can't do and in reality offer far less.

Using the Lightroom app I can capture raw files with control over all the major parameters, then immediately edit for posting to social media or have the files sync back to my main library for a more considered tweakery with the Mac.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    I embraced iPhoneography years ago and now use it daily alongside my Fuji kit as a serious capture tool. The various compact cameras I have in the house have sat around unused (by me) for ages as other than their zoom range they offer nothing my phone can't do and in reality offer far less.

Using the Lightroom app I can capture raw files with control over all the major parameters, then immediately edit for posting to social media or have the files sync back to my main library for a more considered tweakery with the Mac.
    The only reason the one compact camera I owned (purchased back in 2009) sat around is that it seemed to lose quality in capture and was not the best in AF, shutter speeds, and lowlight capability. The technology wasn't helping in my goal towards lowlight, action, and making medium to large format prints. I haven't seen anything in the smartphone arena that will get me there either, but as I stated in post #2 and 6 I see that manufacturers are trying to enhance the features of the phones to get the photographer where they want to be. In my opinion the smartphone is just a compact camera that you can also use as a telephone so don't really see a death of the P & S per se, just another variation of what we've been getting for decades; just paying a few hundred more for the added feature.

Real Name
    Antonio Luz

John,
    Cheers,
    Antonio.
    #5- The smartphone and the lenses

#6- The smartphone (with the telephoto lens) and the tripod

Real Name
    Antonio Luz

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    When and if (not at all likely in my estimation) smart phones come equipped with an eye level viewfinder; I "MIGHT THINK" of using my cellphone for other than emergency still shots.

I would rather shoot with a Canon 350D, which I hated, than the very best Sony, Nikon or Canon DSLR if those cameras did not have a an eye level viewfinder.

In fact, my feelings about this are so strong that, if I was forced to shoot with an LCD only equipped camera, I would simply quit photography.

As a Southern Californian, I almost always have my car nearby. I have been carrying my Canon 40D camera with a 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS in my car. I keep it in a small Styrofoam container (in which some dog medications were shipped) within an insulated lunch bag. Between those two insulators, the camera never gets too hot in normal days. However, I remove the camera on some 100 degree plus days in the Summer.

The camera and lens are a viable combination and I almost always will have a camera with me.

When I am traveling (on a non-photo oriented trip) I will often carry my little SX-50HS bridge camera.
    Richard,
    I also prefer taking photos with cameras (especially those equipped with eye level viewfinder), but I accept taking photos using the LCD screen of a compact camera (maximum focal lenght = 120 mm FFE) or the LCD screen of a smartphone. In this case, one thing I miss is the wrist strap that is used in small compact cameras. I also miss the buttons, dials and ring controls.
    Antonio.