Thread: At The Harbor

Real Name
    Oscar

At The Harbor

Sometimes composition can save a poorly lit scene....

At The HarborIMG_7770 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

Real Name
    Wendy

Re: At The Harbor

This is really quite beautiful. So calm and serene and everything perfectly placed. Personally I love the lighting.

Real Name
    Joe

Love it!

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Nice shot. It works well, but I find that the vignette is distracting and a lighter touch would have resulted in a stronger image. I find that in most cases, once a vignette is noticeable, it takes away from the image.

Real Name
    Oscar

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Nice shot. It works well, but I find that the vignette is distracting and a lighter touch would have resulted in a stronger image. I find that in most cases, once a vignette is noticeable, it takes away from the image.
    Thanks! Well in my work you will see that am a sucker for vignettes, I love them. I understand how some could finde them distracting though. Thanks for commenting.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by chaman View Post
    Thanks! Well in my work you will see that am a sucker for vignettes, I love them. I understand how some could finde them distracting though. Thanks for commenting.
    I use them in many of my images as well, but they are usually not noticed by the viewer.

I will add a vignette to the point where I notice it and will them dial it back just a touch. What that does for me is it darkens the edges of the image just enough to help keep the viewer's eyes inside the frame of the print, but not enough where it distracts the viewer.

As I mentioned in #4, that is not a hard and fast rule and in a very limited number of cases, I will go to a vignette that is noticeable because I want to use the effect that way. This is especially true when I use a negative vignette.