Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A once in a lifetime trip!

Real Name
    Kim Abbott

A once in a lifetime trip!

I am beside myself with excitement!

Next year, my mother and I will be getting to go to Scotland for about 2 weeks. Needless to say, I am going to be working pretty hard on improving my photo skills because this is one trip that I definitely must have some nice photos from.

I know a lot of you are from that side of the pond, so I just could not resist sharing my excitement. Looking forward to seeing my ancestral home. (I claim the MacLeod line from my father's side of the family.)

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: A once in a lifetime trip!

Quote Originally Posted by IShootPeople View Post

Next year, my mother and I will be getting to go to Scotland for about 2 weeks. Needless to say, I am going to be working pretty hard on improving my photo skills because this is one trip that I definitely must have some nice photos from.

I know a lot of you are from that side of the pond, so I just could not resist sharing my excitement. Looking forward to seeing my ancestral home. (I claim the MacLeod line from my father's side of the family.)
    Oh another Sgiathan (a person from Skye)!

You will be very welcome. Let us know if you want any questions answered.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Enjoy Scotland and your once in a lifetime trip. I haven't been there in almost a decade, but the scenery and the historical aspects (buildings and especially all the ruined castles) is stunning.

As for a "once in a lifetime trip", these can be quite addictive and I try to take one or two of those a year...
    Last edited by Manfred M; 6th April 2018 at 11:44 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

I missed meeting Donald on his trip to Yosemite... I sincerely hope that I can get to Scotland since many of my ancestors originated there.

Real Name
    John

Good for you, looking forward to seeing your images.

Real Name
    Martin

Whereabouts in Scotland do you plan on visiting?

Real Name
    Dan

That's awesome. It certainly is a beautiful country for photography. And it sounds like you're looking forward to sharing the trip with your mom. Hope it exceeds your expectations.

Real Name
    Ike Harel

Quote Originally Posted by IShootPeople View Post

The isle-of-Skye not to be missed, Kim.
    The McLeod clan is known all around...
    Either you book a trip with an Edinburgh organized tour to Skye, as my youngest daughter and myself did late Oct. 2016, or booking and driving by yourself easily around. Besides, Edinburgh is a welcoming city, at any time. Been in Scotland three diff. occasions: 10/1978, 08/1993 and 2016 - while in the latest trip I discovered a surprising photographic locations in and around the beautiful city (which I will post more photos of).
    Here are some advises:
    Try to be early as late September, best time of the year. Summer in Skye is mosquitos land.
    In Edinburgh:
    Arthur-Seat is 1 mile walk from the city, not an easy climb, though, try to do it as much as you can.
    Look for small coves along the Royal-Mile.
    A nice walk along the "Water of Leith" near Dean's-Village.
    Highlands:
    Loch-Ness is merely a myth, less time to be spent - but the Highlands has magnificent other Lochs.
    In Skye:
    Mealt-falls and the Kilt rocks is a "must". Uig is a beautiful small port tiny town.
    I will post some photos in the forum "nature" section in due time.
    Ike
    Last edited by Ike Harel; 23rd June 2018 at 03:36 PM.