Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sony Alpha a68 First Impressions

Real Name
    Brian

Sony Alpha a68 First Impressions

It is very much a new version of the a58. A few new bells and whistles, heavier, solider feeling in my hand. The layout is close enough to feel comfortable and different enough that I have to read the manual and look things up on the web.

Tomorrow I'll actually take some shots and then we can test the pudding.

Brian

Real Name
    John

Re: Sony Alpha a68 First Impressions

Brian,

From what I saw in the comparisons of the two models, the extra focus points will be the kicker, the extra resolution is okay but going from 3 to __ focus points will really help you with the macro.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Brian,

From what I saw in the comparisons of the two models, the extra focus points will be the kicker, the extra resolution is okay but going from 3 to __ focus points will really help you with the macro.
    and greater sensitivity in less than well lit shots will be a bonus for my slow shutter speed passion

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Brian,

Or more likely screw things up. The problem I have with the multi-point focus is that they screw up a shot more often than not. The physics of photography do not change, regardless of the number of focus points the camera uses; this is still only one focus plane. In shots where there is a shallow depth of field this is little room for error and a single focus point is generally best because the photographer can pick it rather than an in-camera algorithm that I find often picks the wrong focus point.

With the Sony, Brian will have the focus peaking feature, which will be useful. Manual focus with screen magnification is an even better choice for such fine, narrow DoF work. Shooting tethered and focusing with a large laptop screen is even better.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Or more likely screw things up. The problem I have with the multi-point focus is that they screw up a shot more often than not. The physics of photography do not change, regardless of the number of focus points the camera uses; this is still only one focus plane. In shots where there is a shallow depth of field this is little room for error and a single focus point is generally best because the photographer can pick it rather than an in-camera algorithm that I find often picks the wrong focus point.

With the Sony, Brian will have the focus peaking feature, which will be useful. Manual focus with screen magnification is an even better choice for such fine, narrow DoF work. Shooting tethered and focusing with a large laptop screen is even better.
    I got and use screen mag, but outside tether5ed for bugs not such a good idea.

Real Name
    Ole

Brian, I have an Olympus e-m1 and a Fujifilm X100f and I never use the squillions of focus points available to me but only one - spot metering.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by mugge View Post
    Brian, I have an Olympus e-m1 and a Fujifilm X100f and I never use the squillions of focus points available to me but only one - spot metering.
    Cheers Ole
    The metering point(s) and spot metering are completely different operations and settings.

Real Name
    Dan

I agree with Manfred. Letting the camera choose an AF point generally won’t work with macro. The camera will often choose the wrong point. I rarely use AF for macro, but when I do, it is always single-point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    I agree with Manfred. Letting the camera choose an AF point generally won’t work with macro. The camera will often choose the wrong point. I rarely use AF for macro, but when I do, it is always single-point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    For macro work I do manual focus. For closeups it depends upon the subject.