Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shelter

Real Name
    John

Shelter

Further exploration of the angles when using UWA lens.

ShelterBus Stop by JOHN, on Flickr

Real Name
    Ole

Re: Shelter

John, I want one. This is just great. What is the lens you used, the prices I see here in Australia are a bit high considering the times I need one but then again---
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by mugge View Post
    John, I want one. This is just great. What is the lens you used, the prices I see here in Australia are a bit high considering the times I need one but then again---
    Cheers Ole
    Hi Ole,

Thanks for commenting, I used the 10-24mm Nikon f/3.5-4.5G ED, right now I'm using a DX lens on an FX camera and debating whether or not to buy FX. There's an app called NikonLenses that lists some of the older versions, it lists the AF-P series so I think it updates periodically. The app lists most prices, where to buy, specifications, and links to some reviews.

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    ... right now I'm using a DX lens on an FX camera and debating whether or not to buy FX...
    John

When I moved from the D7100 to the D750, the UWA was one of only two DX lenses I owned, the others being FX format. I used the UWA a few times on the FX body but didn't like it and only replaced it with a full format one fairly recently. The (non-Nikon) replacement was quite pricey and I have not used it a lot so far, but am glad I made the change. The only issue I had was that my every-day software did not include the lens (a Samyang 14mm) in those for which they have auto distortion correction. A small investment in PTLens fixed that though.

Real Name
    Bill

Sorry John, should have said how much I like your "Bus stop".

Real Name
    Philip

In addition to the wide-angle effects, the mixed lighting is enjoyable in this shot, John.

Cheers.
    Philip

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

John from a composition standpoint, you have created an interesting image from a rather ordinary subject. You've taken it from a position and perspective that avoids many of the pitfalls that are often associated with a UWA lens.

That being said, there is something strange going on with your PP work of late, especially the night shots where there are a lot of strange artifacts in the sky. It looks like you are really pushing something really hard in PP and that is creating those artifacts.

Real Name
    Brian

Wow

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by mugge View Post
    Cheers Ole
    Sigma has a good range which includes Nikon-mount:

https://www.imaging-resource.com/len...ws/#zoomLenses

DG = FX, DC = DX ...
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 9th April 2018 at 05:49 PM.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by billtils View Post
    John

When I moved from the D7100 to the D750, the UWA was one of only two DX lenses I owned, the others being FX format. I used the UWA a few times on the FX body but didn't like it and only replaced it with a full format one fairly recently. The (non-Nikon) replacement was quite pricey and I have not used it a lot so far, but am glad I made the change. The only issue I had was that my every-day software did not include the lens (a Samyang 14mm) in those for which they have auto distortion correction. A small investment in PTLens fixed that though.
    Hi Bill,

Thanks for the comments on lenses, when I purchased the D750 I already had two FX lens but nothing at the short range; I did get the 24-70 and felt I had enough to cover WA but sometimes I get in the mood for some distorted perspective.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by billtils View Post
    Sorry John, should have said how much I like your "Bus stop".
    Bill,

Thanks for the comments.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    In addition to the wide-angle effects, the mixed lighting is enjoyable in this shot, John.

Cheers.
    Philip
    Hi Philip,

Thanks for commenting.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    John from a composition standpoint, you have created an interesting image from a rather ordinary subject. You've taken it from a position and perspective that avoids many of the pitfalls that are often associated with a UWA lens.

That being said, there is something strange going on with your PP work of late, especially the night shots where there are a lot of strange artifacts in the sky. It looks like you are really pushing something really hard in PP and that is creating those artifacts.
    Hi Manfred,

Thanks for the comments and critique, yes I've been playing around with the highlights/shadows in ACR and I sometimes push the clarity a bit.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    Wow
    Hi Brian,

Thanks for commenting.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Sigma has a good range which includes Nikon-mount:

https://www.imaging-resource.com/len...ws/#zoomLenses

DG = FX, DC = DX ...
    I hear there's been some AF issues with some of the art lenses, only affects some cameras and Sigma is suggesting users send in there systems to get software upgrade.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Hi Manfred,

Thanks for the comments and critique, yes I've been playing around with the highlights/shadows in ACR and I sometimes push the clarity a bit.
    Those are usually the only sliders I touch in ACR (other than the Remove CA and Lens Profile check boxes). I haven't seen the impact anything like what you are getting. The clarity I tend to be gentle with, but the Highlights and especially Shadows, I will sometimes push those quite hard. Pushing the shadows slider to the right is like adding a fill light.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I hear there's been some AF issues with some of the art lenses, only affects some cameras and Sigma is suggesting users send in there systems to get software upgrade.
    If course there are the two really well regarded Nikkors; the f/2.8 14-24mm and the f/4 12-24mm. I have the 14-24mm and went with it because I do a lot of UWA indoor shooting in low light, so the extra stop was important to me. The 12 - 24mm is a lot less expensive.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    If course there are the two really well regarded Nikkors; the f/2.8 14-24mm and the f/4 12-24mm. I have the 14-24mm and went with it because I do a lot of UWA indoor shooting in low light, so the extra stop was important to me. The 12 - 24mm is a lot less expensive.
    This is a good app for your phone.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...onlenses&hl=en

Real Name
    Dan

I like it, John. Nicely seen and executed.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    I like it, John. Nicely seen and executed.
    Hi Dan,

Thanks for commenting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast