Thread: Side Shot ~ Under Lit ~ Frontal Lit : Snail Shell On A Small Cargo Box

Real Name
    Brian

Side Shot ~ Under Lit ~ Frontal Lit : Snail Shell On A Small Cargo Box

Side Shot ~ Under Lit ~ Frontal Lit : Snail Shell On A Small Cargo Box

The live view capabilities of the Sony Alpha a68 have opened up a whole new universe to me. I can play with so many variables in real time on a large screen. An all you can eat buffet of photographic eye candy. It's absolutely overwhelming. Please bear with me and enjoy the journey as I try, and try again to become proficient.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Side Shot ~ Under Lit ~ Frontal Lit : Snail Shell On A Small Cargo Box

Looking at this shot, it seems to me that your new camera is working quite nicely.

I would suggest that if you are going to work on this type of photography, you are going to have to polish up your composition and lighting skills.. The light bleed onto the wall behind the shell and on the camera right side of the shell suggests you need to flag your light to control the beam. Lighting is critical to this type of work.

The shell has predominantly warm tones, but your light is quite cool; is this an approach that works? You have a fairly high contrast tation from front to back. Do you find that this is an appropriate approach for this subject?

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Looking at this shot, it seems to me that your new camera is working quite nicely.

I would suggest that if you are going to work on this type of photography, you are going to have to polish up your composition and lighting skills.. The light bleed onto the wall behind the shell and on the camera right side of the shell suggests you need to flag your light to control the beam. Lighting is critical to this type of work.

The shell has predominantly warm tones, but your light is quite cool; is this an approach that works? You have a fairly high contrast tation from front to back. Do you find that this is an appropriate approach for this subject?
    Indeed the camera is doing nicely.

Nope I don't need to polish them up. First I have to have them. I was thinking today just how much easier it is to wander thought the garden and recognize a good shot than it is to sit in a studio and create one.

At this point unless I bring in a large desk lamp cool tone flashlight/torch are all I've got. I intentionally tried the head on approach so I guess that makes it appropriate for where I am on my learning curve.

What do you mean "flag your light"?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    What do you mean "flag your light"?
    I thought you were reading "Light - Science & Magic".

They might call it a GoBo (Go Between); it's simply something you place between the light and the subject to prevent unwanted light spill. I usually use piece of cardboard or anything else lying I have around the house.

Unfortunately some of the photographic terminology is a bit "loose". In the way I was taught and use the term, a "flag" is a solid piece that sits between the light and subject while a GoBo is something similar, but lets some light through.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 18th April 2018 at 01:40 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Brian,

I agree about the need to control where the light goes, simply accomplished with something that casts a shadow on to the surfaces you don't need (read "want") lit.

I think I mentioned the concept of some bits of white and (for this use) black A4/Letter card, folded in half and opened to roughly 90 degrees, so they can be used as self supporting miniature "V flats". Oh dear, I also now remember that I may have suggested that I'd demonstrate such a concept in use (BTS) - and promptly forgot

I'll try to remember to do something tomorrow at work.

Dave

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Brian,

I agree about the need to control where the light goes, simply accomplished with something that casts a shadow on to the surfaces you don't need (read "want") lit.

I think I mentioned the concept of some bits of white and (for this use) black A4/Letter card, folded in half and opened to roughly 90 degrees, so they can be used as self supporting miniature "V flats". Oh dear, I also now remember that I may have suggested that I'd demonstrate such a concept in use (BTS) - and promptly forgot

I'll try to remember to do something tomorrow at work.

Dave
    I am reading it but it is a long book.

Dave yes you did but as is often the case I misunderstood the concept.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

The book you are reading is excellent and a great reference, but is also a bit theoretical in the way it explains things.

Another one that might be a bit more useful to you is "Lighting for Product Photography: The Digital Photographer's Step-by-Step Guide to Sculpting with Light" by Allison Earnest. The strength of her book is that it is much more practically oriented and has pictures of the actual setup she uses in her setups. These are all tabletop product shots.

Real Name
    Brian

The book you are reading is excellent and a great reference, but is also a bit theoretical in the way it explains things.

Another one that might be a bit more useful to you is "Lighting for Product Photography: The Digital Photographer's Step-by-Step Guide to Sculpting with Light" by Allison Earnest. The strength of her book is that it is much more practically oriented and has pictures of the actual setup she uses in her setups. These are all tabletop product shots.
    Thanks, I'll see if I can find it.

Real Name
    Greg

Another one that might be a bit more useful to you is "Lighting for Product Photography: The Digital Photographer's Step-by-Step Guide to Sculpting with Light" by Allison Earnest.
    $170 on Amazon. Do you know of any others?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    $170 on Amazon. Do you know of any others?
    Amherst Media, the publisher, lists it for $US29.95. The Kindle version lists for $US11 and Amazon Canada has the paperback at $CAD 44.50.

Real Name
    George

Amherst Media, the publisher, lists it for $US29.95. The Kindle version lists for $US11 and Amazon Canada has the paperback at $CAD 44.50.
    I just don't understand some prices. AbeBooks has an example for only US$4000.00 https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Boo...-srp1-_-image4
    And some offers it as a free ebook. When becoming a member or something like that.

George

Real Name
    Greg

Maybe Amazon is discriminating against Oz but the book is not available to purchase as a kindle book. Otherwise, $170 2nd hand or $1000 new.
    https://www.amazon.com/Lighting-Prod.../dp/B00B607ZAG

Barnes and Noble have it as a Nook Book. I assume you need the Nook device to read it?

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by footloose View Post
    maybe amazon is discriminating against oz but the book is not available to purchase as a kindle book. Otherwise, $170 2nd hand or $1000 new.
    https://www.amazon.com/lighting-prod.../dp/b00b607zag

barnes and noble have it as a nook book. I assume you need the nook device to read it?
    ouch!

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    Maybe Amazon is discriminating against Oz but the book is not available to purchase as a kindle book. Otherwise, $170 2nd hand or $1000 new.
    https://www.amazon.com/Lighting-Prod.../dp/B00B607ZAG

Barnes and Noble have it as a Nook Book. I assume you need the Nook device to read it?
    I remember some rather insane prices like these when some other books went out of stock or went out of print. The fact the the publisher still lists it suggests an out of stock situation, rather than out of print. It looks like it can be ordered from the publisher, Amherst Media, directly for $US29.95 plus shipping.

http://www.amherstmedia.com/miva/mer...tegory_Code=CM

I've never used the Nook format, but if it is similar to Kindle, there should be an app that will run it on other devices. I have my Kindle version open on my desktop computer.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 20th April 2018 at 11:17 AM.