Thread: Planning a shoot when I don't know what I will be shooting???

Real Name
    Richard

Planning a shoot when I don't know what I will be shooting???

That's pretty much it as I have described it... I will be shooting gem stones and jewelry but, specifically what along those lines, I am not sure.

Our photo club has been invited to shoot at the Gemological Institute of America: https://www.gia.edu/gia-museum (I am assuming that it will be the museum). I have been told that most of what we are shooting will be behind glass which that indicates the museum. No flash or tripods will be allowed but, I think that we can use a monopod.

I have to pretty well decide the equipment that I want to bring since, getting into the Gemological Institute requires a security check, so I won't be able to just pop back and forth to and from my car in the parking lot to switch equipment.

I think that I will bring my 6D2 and 7D2 cameras and my Canon 35mm f/2 IS for the 6D2 and my 17-55mm f/2.8 IS for the 7D2. I will also lug along the my 28-70mm Tokina f/2.8 and Canon 90mm f/2.8 Macro which I could share between the two cameras as needed. The last two lenses do not have IS but, I will be experimenting using both in-camera multi-shot noise reduction and post processing multi-shot noise reduction before I go on the shoot.

The 6D2 in-camera multi-shot noise reduction can be done only with JPEG images but, I can combine multi-images for noise abatement in post processing. This is an interesting video along those lines...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMPwKC-8bac

Doing the Noise Reduction in PP will allow me to shoot RAW! I wish that I could use a tripod. I would then bring my 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II lens to use on my 6D2 and do image stacking like I did at the model train layout...

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: Planning a shoot when I don't know what I will be shooting???

Have you considered taking a little bean bag to support the camera - also ideal for smuggling out the odd souvenir...

Real Name
    John

Or consider this for the monopod.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Double-Ha...b5b01f1feb26f5

And a cpl for glass flare.

Real Name
    Richard

Bean bag is a great idea for camera support, For souvenir collection, probably not I will bring the CPL thanks for that thought I have a swivel head for the monopod...

Real Name
    Dan

I can understand museums not allowing tripods during normal business. What with tripping hazards and photographers monopolizing space around displays. But to invite a photography club and not let them bring the necessary equipment is just bizarre. Shooting indoors at things behind glass with no way to steady a camera. Hmmm. Maybe it's a good opportunity for the club to do a challenge/contest. Cell phone images only. That would simplify the kit

Real Name
    Richard

Dan, I totally agree with you regarding tripods and our camera club. When our club photographed the San Diego Model Railroad Museum, the plan was to allow us to enter two hours before the museum opened to the general public so we could use our tripods without these being a safety factor.

Given the understandable security concerns of the Gemological Institute, I am not sure if we will have the museum to ourselves... I'd really like to shoot more than just museum displays. I enjoyed shooting in this Hong Kong jewelry business...

Our tour was given freedom to shoot in the workroom but, for security reasons, we were asked not to shoot in the display room...

I visited a jade factory in Beijing and was allowed to shoot in both the workroom...

and in the showroom...

I did a lot of jewelry shooting in the Grand Market of Istanbul...

I had not noticed the "NO PHOTOGRAPHY" signs in every jewelry stall I did stop photographing them when the signs were politely pointed out to me by one owner

I have always enjoyed planning photo ventures like these. I carried two cameras in Istanbul, Venice, and China. One wore the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens and the other wore the 70-200mm f/4L IS lens... This combination was absolutely perfect for my shooting style...

I'd probably be pretty well equipped just carrying my 7D2 and the 17-200mm f/2.8 IS lens... However, why not shoot the works
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 20th April 2018 at 12:16 AM.

Real Name
    John

Nice examples, good exposure and control of highlights.

Real Name
    Richard

I have been doing some experiments to see what the limits of my 6D2 are when it comes to high ISO. I shot at ISO 400 and ISO 800 using only NIK Dfine as noise reduction. As expected, the images were very clean. I then shot at ISO 1600 and used NIK Dfine for noise reduction as well as using post production multi image noise reduction. The ISO 1600 images are still quite clean...

Real Name
    Richard

I received some information from the coordinator of this shoot.

"Most displays at GIA are in glass cases, so shorter range lenses would be best. There are a couple of things which are not in cases, but even those could be shot with 28-70 for example. Also plan to wear dark color shirt to reduce reflections when shooting through glass."

I plan to take two cameras (6D2 and 7D2) with three Canon lenses 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and 35mm f/2 IS which will be my primary (I think) lenses because of the IS capability. However, I also plan on bringing my Canon 100mm f//2.8 Macro even though this lens doesn't have Image Stabilization. The combination of being able to shoot up to ISO 1600 and get clean images as well as using my Monopod should negate the lack of IS. The Macro lens will allow me to get a bit closer - both in focusing distance and in focal length.

The dark shirt is something which I should have thought of in advance

Real Name
    roy

Don't forget something to clean the glass with, it'l be full of fingerprints at least
    royent

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by royent View Post
    Don't forget something to clean the glass with, it'l be full of fingerprints at least
    royent
    Good thought. I'll bring a microfiber cloth and a small spray bottle of lens cleaner.

Real Name
    Richard

I wasn't particularly impressed with the displays at the Gemological Institute of America. When I first arrived in the building, I saw a wonderful display of the Jewels of India in a room right off the main lobby. I said to myself, this is going to be great shooting. The guide greeted us and said we were free to shoot anything, except for the Jewels of India display which was on loan to the GIA with the stipulation that no photos were to be shot. The displays we were allowed to shoot were not lit well and were not particularly photogenic. I was able to get a few fairly interesting shots...
    However, the trip was very interesting. The guide was very knowledgeable and pleasant and the GIA gave us a nice hard cover book on gems and semi precious stones which I will keep in my library...